thinking bout EK9 or EP3

mugen 9

hi im new to this forum and am thinking about buying a Honda civic typeR EK9, i just wanted to know if the ride is rough and wondered if it rattles like mad coz it was based on the DC2. if anyone owns one, wot is their most common fault and wot to look for wen viewing?and is it worth the money and is it a easy car to live with and of course a trouble free car. ideally i wud want to buy a JDM EP3 but im not too sure, which one would you recommend? i owned a 03 civic before and i loved it but it wasnt fast enough so i changed to a corolla Tsport but wanting to change back to honda. i will be gratefully appreciated if anyone has any comments or advice thanks. :)

coz it was based on the DC2.

hmmm.......

pfft! for the price definitely the ek9, really can't justify the price of the jdm
ep3's, taking into consideration the fact that ek9's are now rolling up to 10 years old so there'll be more because you only have to mot them, hence a lower price, you can really pick up a bargain!
the jdm ep3 is quicker than the ek9, but if you want a 2l vtec that rips through all 6 gears your better off with a teg dc5. i guess with the ep3 you do get exclusivity, most people are like "wtf!!! white type r".

looks - ek9
handling - ek9
speed - jdm ep3
da bitches - ek9 (couldn't resist lol!)

that's half the question answered!.
:)

thanks for that i was wondering bout the handling and reliability too, i drove my mates ep3 and it was very fast but someone said ek's are better, also the potential for tuning is alot better. i think theres too many ep3's about so ile go and test drive an EK and see how it goes, i also think they still look absolutely stunning, the bitches will also think wtf is that coz theres not many round here lol lol. thanks mate

I think you can't compare a EK9 against a EP3.

Remember the EK9 has a 1600cc dohc vtec motor, with 185 hp, the EP3 has a 2000cc ivtec motor with 215 hp.

The EP3 has the advantage of the K series motors, they got more displacement. I've never driven a EP3 but I think the EK9 has a better handling than the EP3 because of its chassis and because it is a lightweight car :)

Reliable? the EK9 is reliable, and the EP3 also, and you can find replacement parts for them over the internet or at your local honda branch.

Check them both, and go with the one you like the best! Hope you get a ek9 tho.. ;)

rattles coz it was based on the dc2?? wtf?
they aint french cars mate!
my dc2 and ek9 were/ are both as easy to live with, nicer to drive, better seats and lower seating position, easier to work on and just as reliable as my dads ep3 is.

You can get UK spec EP3's for less than 5k now.

:shocked: i never knew they had got that cheap, i can remember when people were saying "you can now get a ep3 for under £10k" and that didnt seen too long ago.

If you are local to Reading or passing this way give me a shout and i will take you out for a test drive as i have a couple for sale.
Thanks Duncan

Yep a mate was looking today between 60k and 80k lowest we found was £4700!!! Rediculous.

i would go for ek9, for the price of jdm ep3 you could get a dc5 integra

:shocked: i never knew they had got that cheap, i can remember when people were saying "you can now get a ep3 for under £10k" and that didnt seen too long ago.

If you are local to Reading or passing this way give me a shout and i will take you out for a test drive as i have a couple for sale.
Thanks Duncan

hi i was looking on your site at a white 2000 EK and it looks fresh, im from yorkshire so not very close but i will keep that in mind when i kno wot to do with my Tsport, see if anyone wants it first. i was considering part ex, but not found one with low mileage at a garage which is reasonably priced. most of them are privately sold which means i have to sell mine first which is abit of a ball ache. i will give u a shout if im near thanks duncan. simon.

EP3 Pah!!!!
shopping wagons with a fancy badge...and most people dont even know what the R and its history are all about...but thats another rant ! lol

go with the 9 mate...the general feel of the car is better..it feels lighter..smaller..tighter on the handling and you feel a great deal more from the road which makes the experience all that much better.
there are more and more 9s coming into the country but i have still only ever seen one other one on the road..and that was mikes the other day. the exclusivness is still there ;) and im yet to be beaten by an EP3 :D at the end of the day the ek9 is a track car for the consumer market. it does what it says on the tin! ..the EP3 is a hothatch build pretty much for everyday comfort.....and shopping! lol

as for rattles..hmmm...i ahve to say that they do have a few pop up. its an old car..built well but you do get a few rattles but they can be easily sorted i have found.

thanks, i have always wanted one but jus couldnt get insured but now i can, does anyone know of a decent garage that have good examples and are recommended by anyone, possibly one that does part ex's. thanks.

Back