Blew my B16B up !!!!

Stuarty

2000 CW B18c EK9-Rx
I done something that i didn't think was possible :((

I managed to blow 3 holes in my B16B engine block the other night. I had recently sold my Spoon ECU and swapped it over for a standard EK9 ECU, but on the first night of driving with the standard ECU my engine has went bang. I'm starting to wonder if it was the ECU's fault.

It happened on thursday night, i started working on it last night and im now just need to get the drive shafts out and find an engine crane somewhere. To say i'm gutted is an understatement but i'm on the hunt for a B18C engine now :)

I will post pics off the block up once the engines out.

:angry2::angry2::angry2::angry2:

did u hve any internal mods/upgrades to match ur Spoon ECU..?

if iam right the extra revs with Spoon ECU degrade internals due to higher stress!!

Judging by past expierence on me m8s B16A he damaged crankshaft bearings, conrods and piston rings using the Spoon ECU for almost 2yrs!! :shocked:

Wish u luck on ur swap!! & sorry to hear abt ur B16B :((

did u hve any internal mods/upgrades to match ur Spoon ECU..?

if iam right the extra revs with Spoon ECU degrade internals due to higher stress!!

Judging by past expierence on me m8s B16A he damaged crankshaft bearings, conrods and piston rings using the Spoon ECU for almost 2yrs!! :shocked:

Wish u luck on ur swap!! & sorry to hear abt ur B16B :((

It shouldint cause any more wear than a standard ecu unless you are sitting above the standard 8600rpm limit alot. Did your mate run at the top end of the rev limiter often?

Are you sure it was a proper ek9 ecu that was put back in? At least you can put in a B18C-R now though:D

these things happen tho lol we just have to get on with it. It's done now. If i'm honest the car did take some amount of abuse wen i had the Spoon N1 and the Spoon ECU on it because it was so addictive so i just think it was just me being a bit of a fud :(

Well I had my ek9 redlining in 4th when I went back to 3rd (By Accident!). The car reved out to 10800RPM on my RSM and the engine didnt blow!

Last edited:
How long since you last checked the oil? Just cant see a honda engine just blowing up for no reason? :shocked:

Checked the oil the previous day, n it had only done 68000 miles!!

I don't really understand it myself!!

.... very sad to here mate...
vsn't think of how the engine blew... however at least you are in the hunt for a b18! ;)
Hopefully will pursuade you to keep the car :)
GL with everything

sorry to hear but more details needed here

was motor 100% stock that you knew of ?
was car overeved when it blew ?
was car taken past rev limit often when spoon ecu was on ?
why would you run spoon ecu on stock motor unless race/track car ?
was car maintained well by you and by previuos owner ?
you say oil checked day before so unlikely to be oil (you dont say whether it was on
full mark or less) ?

spoon ecu is race only item and even though many use daily is simply isnt meant for that for booting about dailt as motor wears much quicker if at high rpm;s a lot

was motor 100% stock that you knew of ? As far i knew, Yes!
was car overeved when it blew ? No, roughly about 7500rpm
was car taken past rev limit often when spoon ecu was on ? Only to the Spoon ECU rev limit of 9500rpm, quite often.
why would you run spoon ecu on stock motor unless race/track car ? It came with the car n it seemed to handle it no bother at all.
was car maintained well by you and by previuos owner ? Yes, previous owner took good care of it and i had just serviced it with hamp filter and silkolene engine oil 3k ago
you say oil checked day before so unlikely to be oil (you dont say whether it was on
full mark or less) ? It was just below full mark

.... very sad to here mate...
vsn't think of how the engine blew... however at least you are in the hunt for a b18! ;)
Hopefully will pursuade you to keep the car :)
GL with everything

I was taking the uprated parts off it and selling it but i'm definetly not now, i'm keeping it and making it my baby :drive:

i think it knew i wanted to sell up :lol:

What about coolant/antifreeze? The spoon ecu should'nt of made a diffrence this is a type r engine not a rover engine. It shouldnt of gone like that anyway look what some people do to them (cams, turbo, supercharger ... ect).

Has it always been run with fully synthetic oil since you owned it Stuart? As i think you are meant to gradually introduce an engine to fully synthetic oil unless it has been used since new. That combined with the high revving of spoon ecu may have caused the problem?

Doesent spoon ecu have rev limit of 9100rpm?

Im not sure if the engine was ran on fully sythetic before, but surely if it wasnt it wouldnt have blown the up if it wasnt :shocked:

When the Spoon ECU was fitted to my EK9 it went to 9500, n i have dyno print outs of it and its exact top rpm limit was 9490.

How you liking the spoon ECU anyhow??

Back