Registration plate rant

stevenEK9

trackattack
Anyone else on here get grief for the reg plates on their cars being import plates?

Pulled over AGAIN today, last time I got a ticket for them and told that I had to fit standard UK plates on and get the ticket stamped at an MOT station.......

Went to the MOT station and they say nothing wrong and I was on my way

Today I never got a ticket but a warning that if I don't sort it and get pulled again it will be a £60 fine per plate :(

Their arguement is that the font is too small, it is motorbike sized font in a 12x6" plate, you can only run reduced sized font and smaller plate like this if there is a space restriction for where the plate is fitted, which of course on an EK9 there is not, there is plenty room to mount a UK plate :angry:

UK plates of course look RUBBISH on EK9's (as do 13x7" plates), think i'm going to buy a cheap 5 digit private plate and get another set of 12x6" plates made with the 5 digit number all in 1 row in full sized font, what an arse though!!!!

Please don't come up with police bashing replys, my car does look a bit lairy so I know it's going to attract unwanted attention, just looking from input about plates/this could be a warning to people who are unaware of the regulations

Cheers

got import plates on mine and the mot station that does my mot's has never complained or failed me for them.
is it the same copper pulling you over, if so he might think you're not changing them to wind him up

i just brought 12x6 for my car and its a uk car but i dont get bothered by the police and my car is a bit lairy compared to some.
but i will keep my uk in the boot.
i think it all depends on the coppers tbh

IMG_3036.jpg

i got an on the spot fine for that ! cop measured the digits and said they were half an inch to small, so of course i argued the point saying import size :blabla: but with no success. Fought it out with the head of the traffic police but was a pure waste of time. Although in the case of an imported car where the recess only incorporates that perticular size its meant to be legal:angry: bloody nightmare feel your pain man.

Aberdeen is full of some shanned up cars that the police are just trying to enforce everything they can, fair do's!

Been different coppers each time.....

EDIT - Gav yeah it's a pain that the law is like that!!!

5 digits in a 12x6 plate should look like this, should keep the police off my back

100_2745.sized.jpg

Last edited:
there is a certain size for letters and there is a certain amount of distance between number and edge of plate . buy one with both and you wont get pulled. in n.i. mot centers we get a leaflet to give you the required dimensions. motorbike ones will always get the 50 on your tail

Aberdeen is full of some shanned up cars that the police are just trying to enforce everything they can, fair do's!

Been different coppers each time.....

EDIT - Gav yeah it's a pain that the law is like that!!!

5 digits in a 12x6 plate should look like this, should keep the police off my back

100_2745.sized.jpg

tell me bout it, people out there gettin stabbed etc and they bust our ass for something so petty:angry: can even see them coming up with some **** for that 5 digit one as well. Spacing, post code or whatever. Down to a bit of luck as well wither you get the good cop or bad cop, but if you see the dredded blue lights in the mirror and its for the plates then its gonna be bad cop anyway. Poor show:angry:

The oficial DVLA blurb is

"All number plates must meet standard size for lettering and style (with the exception of imported cars that were not designed for UK plates and have a functional reason for not using standard size plates). Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display number plates with smaller characters if: The vehicle does not have European Community Whole Type Approval AND the vehicle’s construction/design cannot accommodate standard size number plates"

EK9's have no functional reason for not running UK sized font and the design can accomodate UK plates, bummer!

The oficial DVLA blurb is

"All number plates must meet standard size for lettering and style (with the exception of imported cars that were not designed for UK plates and have a functional reason for not using standard size plates). Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display number plates with smaller characters if: The vehicle does not have European Community Whole Type Approval AND the vehicle’s construction/design cannot accommodate standard size number plates"

EK9's have no functional reason for not running UK sized font and the design can accomodate UK plates, bummer!

yeah tried to bullshit saying the rear recess could only accept the import size...... failed lol

had no trouble with mine, but then I didn't have any trouble running with NO plate at all for several months, so it's possible the police are a little more relaxed here.

Not sure what size mine is, looks alright though.

IMG_5857s.jpg

I haven't had no trouble with mine either, and use a toll road to get to and from work and there is quite often police and VOSA there pulling people in checking car's and HGV's for the normal things tyre's, MOT, tax and what not. I think you've just been unlucky Steven.

i dont even have a plate on the front of my car its in my window bin like that for over a year and not but pulled yet even though i live oppersite a police station. guess its just down to look weather you get pulled or not!

ive had the same problem 7 times now

1st time was import plates
2nd time was import plates
3rd time was tilter bracket
4th time was import plates
5th time was sticker plate
6th time was uk square plate that didnt have the kitemark on it? WTF??
7th time was import plates

and i done the same and bought a slightly shorter plate to try and get less greif, but its worse now, they have warned me that they will be filing a complaint and getting the dvla to withdraw my plate from my car and i loose it and dont get the money for it, and that was even with a uk square plate, i had to shave it top and bottom to fit in the rear recess, and it removed the kitemark from the bottom corner, and running a normal uk plate on the back looks totally shite, if you mount it on the hooks your left with the big holes into the main boot pannel, and if you mount it center you still get the edges of the pannel and have the hooks sitting looking daft.

yeah i used to get stopped all the time when i got the 9 for the import plates but i argued it there and then and of course im pretty clued up on the number plate laws being in the motor trade etc . as said once i started rattling off all the **** they were sort of confused and said on your way sir . lol

Yes mate been there before and every time i tell them according to DVLA Jap and American import size plate must conform to 12 * 6! I bought the car from an authorised importer and these are the plates they supply to EVERY import!

They can never tell me the exact law and end up telling me to sort it but we'll let you on your way! I'm going to print of some information and keep it in the car from now on! Cause it is a piss take! No copper really knows!

This is where we stand

"(2) After regulation 14, insert the following regulation -

" Size and spacing of characters: special cases
14A. - (1) This regulation applies in relation to any vehicle imported into the United Kingdom which -

(a) does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval; and

(b) is so constructed that the area available for the fixing of the registration plate precludes the display on the plate of a registration mark in conformity with the requirements of regulation 14."

Back