HELP! And you thought your day was bad

Nicegoingdav

2000 EK9 Rx
I've just got back from a tyre shop after getting there at 10am (GMT).

Fairly straight forward job: front two RS2 tyres were looking low on tread, so I'd get them changed over to some Kumhos in time for a track day next Wednesday. Simples....NO

I have rota fighters (16 x 7" 5 stud) with the internally tightening/loosening bolts. All bolts were loosened except the last one, which cracked all down one side :(. I think a combination of over tightening and weak metal was the cause - maybe the tyre guy didn't have the adapter bolt all the way in - i didn't see, I'm pretty sure he wasn't using an air gun.

Hours were then spent trying to loosen it, hammer it loose, even trying to knock it round with a chisel! Nothing worked. I then took it to a 'well-equipped' garage up the road, who said they'd have to drill it out, and that I should leave the car with them and they might have it done by the end of today... F*** that! This made it clear there was no option but to drill it out :angry:.

-The owner of the shop is my gf's uncle btw, so i insisted to him that if anyone was going to take a metallic drill bit to my car it would be me!-

On the whole damage limitation was pretty good considering what it could have been. I sacrificed about 4 of my own drill bits - which I went and picked up and brought back but the wheel nut was reduced to filings pretty easily.

Now I'm running 4 nuts on that wheel, which is OK for road use but I don't really fancy tracking it like that!

I think i'll have to replace the tapered wheel bolt thing (whatever its called) as its lost a lot of its thread, although a whell nut can still tighten up on it, but I'm not sure how well..

Also the wheel: as I'm not sure how good the surface at the bottom of the hole the cracked nut was in - if you follow me - is now I may well have to buy one new wheel, and I'm DEFINITELY replacing all the wheel nuts, which i made sure could be loosened and torqued up properly before driving off.

So:

1. Can anybody recommend a good brand of internally tightening wheel nuts?
2. Can just the bolt be replaced on the wheel mount or will I have to get a whole new hub?
3. Never ever compromise on the quality of mechanical parts on your car.

They were on there when I bought it but today I am totally depressed because of what has happened. I just want to get it sorted before my track day next Wednesday :please:

p.s. spennyd's days totally worse - even tho a £20 tyre change is going to run into the hundreds!!! :-(

Last edited:
alrite mate the hub doesnt need to be replaced go to honda and u can just get a new bolt i no i had to do pretty much the same lol.and buddyclub make them i think

Don't see what this talk of "bolts" is

You have Studs which come off the hub and through the disc rotor and then nuts whcih tighten down the wheels

Studs can be replaced individually, they have a knurled fitting at one side which is press fitted through the hub but require removal of the front hub and dissasembly of the hub to allow you to fit one unfortunately :((

Back