EK9 vs. EP3

I've been lurking on here a while now asking questions every now and then about buying EK9's. Well here is another one :D

I've been continually researching cars and I'd narrowed my choice down to either a UKDM EP3, an Audi TT or a facelift EK9. My budget is around £6000.

Now I went and took a test drive in a facelift UKDM EP3 and it was fantastic, I'd never been out in a VTEC motor and that totally changed my view on N/A engines and pretty much ruled out the TT. Especially considering the image they carry and the fact they are meant to be duff on track.

Now I have done some more research into the EP3 and I've been told that the UKDM EP3 is basically a half hearted Type R and that the one to go for is either the JDM EP3 which is proper (thus the Champ. White colour) and that I should consider an EK9 for the budget. I don't want a JDM 'teg which was the other suggestion.

Now I know you lot may be biased but I'd like a truthful comparison of the cars if you can provide that. I noticed people seem to drop the K20 into the EK shell, this leads me to believe that the EK may be lacking sometimes?

Plus points are the interior, rarity and better on track for the EK. Negative point is price for an old car and rattles. The EP has availability and newer on its side (I'm ideally looking for a car W reg or newer) as well as practicality but lacks AC a lot of the time and the interior is gash compared to the red on the 'real' type R's.

I'll be commuting daily in this but would like to go to the odd track day. I don't want to make a killer loss in a few years when I sell either, I fear the EK9 may drop in value a lot.

I did speak to a couple of importers a couple of months ago off of here but for my budget I was told they wouldn't be able to be of much assistance surprisingly.

Any help would be great folks, you're usually very helpful!

Last edited:
If you can live with out the Power EK9 FTW

Handles better
Drives better
Limited Slip Diff

Overall a MUCH nicer experience.

However if you only concerned with straight line then EP3 although not much in it, me and my mate have tested it.

Buy a Pre facelift EK9 in 6months time drop a B18C in there! You'll love it.

UKDM EP3 NO NO NO
JDM EP3 Definitely

Or very simply EK9 FTW!!!

I was in the same position as you and drove both......... Guess what i now own an EK9

HTH

Last edited:
Well having had a UKDM EP3 for a year and then changing to an EK9, I wouldn't go back to the EP3.

The speed is roughly the same, but the B16B engine (for me) is just so revy and thrashable. More raw than the K20. But thats just how I feel about it. :D

Handling wise, there may not be that much difference in performance in 'real world' circumstances. But the feel of the EK9 over the EP3 is like night and day. The EP3 was numb in comparison. The EK9 tells you exactly what is happening and gives so much more feel. If your thinking track days an EK9 would be far better.

Finally price wise, I'm not so sure the EK9's are going to go down alot in the near future. They are a rare and proper type R. I would think they are going to keep there price quite well. They don't make hatches like this anymore!! :drive:

The EP3's are loosing value, thats why there are sooooo many about now, alot with younger drivers cos they are so cheap now!

Its just my opinion, but Id definately go EK9 on your budget. You can't get a better, more fun car that costs as little to run and maintain. They punch well above there weight! :woot:

Nath

Insurance hates me so engine swaps are a no I'm afraid!

How do silver ones compare in price to the white ones?

I'm afraid the JDM EP3 is not an option, the buying and insuring costs are outside my limits I'm afraid. UKDM EP3 and JDM EK9 are the same to insure and buy roughly.

Are EK9's not beginning to show their age inside/to drive? Rattly or anything? How much are the prices expected to change over the next three years would you estimate? I imagined they may drop as the economy recovers and the pound picks up?

I'd also be using the car to get to the office and clients and not sure if an EK9 may be too in your face? I'm not even sure that is a valid argument to be honest :D

Nathbot - interesting comparison there, thanks. Any more insight? Is it the non-hydraulic power steering in the EP3 that ruins it?

Does the 1.6 in the '9 feel weedy at any point in comparison with the K20?

My 9 is a great daily drive, i only do short trips to and from work so i dont even get to tec it anyway on those runs (unless i go the scenic route :) ) and its still a much better drive than my old polo....its just fun to drive even when your just pottering around, something that i dont think you will get with an ep3. Also mine has no rattles at all....

To be honest though i think youl be lucky to find a tidy pre facelift for 6k, as they are a bit older now i think its worth waiting till you can afford to buy a really nice one.

I was in the same boat mate, test drove a few UKDM EP3's, UKDM Teg's, JDM Teg's, test drove a few EK9's aswell, but the one i chose pulled very well, and just loved the driver's position and feeling and pure hardcorness of it :)

My advise is test drive a selection of all the above you are not sure of, and test not just one EK9 but a few as there are so many shagged EK9 examples out there and then make a DECISION

I'm sure the outcome will be a unabused facelift EK9 :D

and you have any question's about the EK9 feel free to askkkkkkk ;)

Would be looking for a facelift model since a few are cropping up for around the £6k limit now - autotrader for instance shows one or two around that price. An importer has had a facelift up for £5995 for a bit too but can't remember which one.

I may be swayed to spend a bit extra to get a 2000 plate one.

Well alot of people say the steering is quite vague on the EP3, which I agree with. You don't get much feel through it.

I felt when pushing the car, it didn't feel as planted because your confidence wasn't there, I couldn't tell what the car was doing as well as I can now in the 9.

The engine does lack a bit of grunt i'll admit. In an ideal world I would have swapped a B18 into it. or even a K20! It does lack a bit of torque in comparison to the EP3.

Having said that, after getting a 9, I haven't ever thought about my EP3.

With the possibility of you driving clients in your car, maybe it would be better to get a more 'refined' and less raw type R like the EP3. I agree that the EK9 interior is a nicer place to be, but the car will feel more focused and less refined.

But showing clients that your enthusiastic about what you drive isn't a bad thing! :naughty:

What I will say is I know F all about how to spot good and bad cars which isn't a good start. I have a friend who is a mechanic who says he will help me but I'm not sure he is familiar with EK9's specifically. He isn't a Honda fan.

EDIT: I doubt I'll have to actually drive them around, just go to their offices and the like so the harshness would only be from appearances :D

Crouching Wayne, where are you based? if it's London Area, will take you out in my EK9 if you want?

Haha sorry mate, I'm in Aberdeen - very very far away! I'll try get a local lad from the local JDM forum to take me for a spin. Cheers for the offer though!

EK9 hands down, if it's power you're after just drop a B18 or K series in it.

UKDM EP3's aren't as bad as people make out. Sort the suspension and sort the gearbox with an LSD and they're superb cars, much cheaper than the JDM too.

EK9 is the original Civic Type-R though, its as raw as it gets.

The only thing that puts me off about the EP3 is the way the gear leaver comes out the dash... hidious! Same way as a van.

The only thing that puts me off about the EP3 is the way the gear leaver comes out the dash... hidious! Same way as a van.

have you driven one? It just feels so right, nice and close to the wheel.

I had an EP3 before my EK9 btw, tempted to go back to one, unless I go DC5..

UKDM EP3's aren't as bad as people make out. Sort the suspension and sort the gearbox with an LSD and they're superb cars, much cheaper than the JDM too.

EK9 is the original Civic Type-R though, its as raw as it gets.

i'd agree,i had a facelift ep3 a couple of years back and liked it,they are good daily drivers,the ek9 is an out and out drivers car though but also not to everyones taste,people don't realise that they cost as much if not more than ukdm ep3's and they do look like boy racers cars to the vast majority of non jdm knowing people and maybe to your clients....

EK9 is a "chav car" to 99% of the population, including the gf.

Fortunately there's a small percentage of us that know a bit about fast japanese hatches:p

I quite liked the gear lever actually, although my first gear change saw my hand bang straight into the cup holder :D

I enjoyed the better driving position that my friends old EJ had, I'm assuming the EK is the same? The EP3 didn't really have a distinctive sports feel other than being fast. It seemed almost too practical :D

I'm looking to not lose much money on the car over time though as I'll be wanting rid once insurance calms down on the group 20 cars (2 or three years) or possibly to release funds for a house deposit depending how things go.

I do want a fast small Jap car though! Heart is saying EK9 but head thinks EP3, that is probably best way to describe it. They do look a bit chavvy but I'd maybe say they are acceptable since at the end of the day they are just a small hatch.

Back