EP3 VS EK9 decisions decisions

starry

B16A298 VTI-S (UK
I cant decide which 1 to go for.
I am coming from a B16A2 1998 VTI-S 172 HP approx,
I am considering a
2000 Ek9 which ive seen for sale at £7,500 with 80k miles.
OR a 2002 EP3 with 44k miles for £7,800. i do see other ep3's for sale slightly cheaper with varying mileages some lower some higher.

I just dont know which one to buy, i have drove an EK9 and really loved it especially the brakes compared to a VTI EK4. I like the rawness and flare of an ek9 and the seats are great. Also I assume an EK9 will be more reliable than an EP3 as it is made in Japan rather than the EP3 which is produced here in the UK in Swindon. And the fact that when i beat some one and they pull up and ask what u running under there?? all i can say is a 1.6 Vtec non turbo front wheel drive hatchback compared to German and French Turbo cars and most japs under 2 litres, which really is the icing on the cake for me!
It is the fastest to 60mph 1.6 and under non turbo FWD performance car in the world and probably the best 1.6 ever!

Conversely an EP3 looks better with its modern styling, and lets face it ive had an ek4 and a couple of years down the line EK's will look dated even tho they look so raw and sexy. And for roughly the same money i will have a car 2/3 years newer. But when it comes down to 0-60 of the lights ive been told the EP3 requires and extra gear change to get to 60mph with it being 6 speed. Also the initial take of/launch wont be as good as it has heavier 17" wheels compared to the EK9's smaller lighter 15" wheels. it has no LSD, But i am always gonna be thinking Should i have bought the DC5 as that 2.0 is slightly more HP or the JDM EP3 or even the new CTR. as i will always know i have not got the fastest 2.0 litre honda offer but the EK9 has this uniqueness to its class

At the end of the day it is 0-60mph time what counts most for me and stock to stock the EK9 would win.

Particularly interested in the views of UK owners with stock cars. And please dont say buy a JDM EP3 as they are far over my budget.

Give me your thoughts if uv been in the same situation or if u have a EK9 and fancy a EP3.or if u have a EP3 and want a EK9 and why

EK9 hands down, the uk spec ep3's are nothing too special, I've seen an ek9 stayin with one no problem and it had very little mods. EK9's are a far better looking car IMO and have much more parts available, nicer recaro's etc etc;)

Do you want to be at the top of a lower category, or the bottom of a higher category? ;)

I'd choose the EK9 over a non-JDM EP3, especially if you have plans to mod the car. And atleast its a no-compromise Type-R.

Depends on usage? EP3 for comfort and 'blending in' (lots of them about!), If you look hard you will find one for 7.5-8k with exhaust & mani/k-pro/fast road setup (good base for other mods) with 50-60k mileage.

EK9 for rawness & exclusivity. I was lined up to test drive an above mentioned EP3 but after a test of the 9 I didnt bother. Bought mine for limited fast road usage & trackdays. Best bet is just to test drive both cars.

i am in the process of selling a uk ep3,dont get me wrong it is a good car and quick but the ek9 is better,there are several pros and cons,as you say the ep3 looks and feels a lot newer than the ek9,but the ek9 is a total drivers car and is a lot better handling and higher spec and much rarer than uk spec ep3's depends what you yourself prefer, unless you want to spend the extra on a jdm spec ep3 i'd go for an ek9.

My heart has always been with the EK9 for performancecause thats my no1 priority. its just that i will be paying £7500 for a 8 year old car, thats a lot of money to me especially if it is going to start looking old soon. relistically think there is only 4 tenths of a second in the 0-60 time.
Not really into modding as it compromises reliablility a lot of the time, Good tyres, a decat pipe, and poss a intake is all i need.
But respect to all EK9 owners EP3 owners and JDM EP3 owners think anyone who drives one of these is in a win win situation

i would hve sme doubts if i were comparing ek9 & jdm ep3... however would not buy swindon made ep3 over jdm ek9...without disrespecting any Honda!

both cars r great, simply go for the one that WILL suite u best...

Attachments

• $62.jpg
    $62.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 3,339
  • $127F51569750.jpg
    $127F51569750.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 3,377
  • $civicEP.jpg
    $civicEP.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 13,226
well i'm selling the ep3 and have bought this ek9.
for me i have had an ek9 and the uk ep3 so i know myself what i'd rather have
although i quite fancied the jdm ep3,i opted for this as it was one owner 35000km grade 4 with many good parts and above all its beautiful in black.

Attachments

• $Smile.jpg
    $Smile.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,267
  • $Sunset.jpg
    $Sunset.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 985
to me the ep3's are just fugly i really like the body on the ek9

i would hve sme doubts if i were comparing ek9 & jdm ep3... however would not buy swindon made ep3 over jdm ek9...without disrespecting any Honda!

both cars r great, simply go for the one that WILL suite u best...

I am pretty sure that JDM ep3s and normal ep3s are both made in swindon.
Its just that the jdm's are shifted to japan to get tweaked and adjusted i.e. LSD, recaros, different ecu other slight things like this.
SO the reliability of the cars will be the same whether JDM ep3 or normal ep3. but jdm ep3s are too much money anyway

ek9 all the way, even more if you plan to mod it :)

although i quite fancied the jdm ep3,i opted for this as it was one owner 35000km grade 4 with many good parts and above all its beautiful in black.

I love that black ek9 you bought the wheels are **** hot :nice:

Beautiful car, volks te37s wheels right? :wow:

But is a nearly 8 year old car (if u get the latest ones) really woth £7,500?

cheers guys,yeah they are 17's,maybe a bit big for handling,gonna have to get standard rims aswell.:woot:
I agree that for a civic hatch, 17's are bigger than normal and they are not good in handling at high speeds and they also "eat" a lot of torque, but they weight only 6.6kg!! :wow: The 15's stock EK9 weight more but they provide better handling for this car.
Since you want to get rid of them and get a set of 15's, and if you need performance, then I suggest the following: Sell them and get a set of the same brand in 15".
The rims you have cost around $2400 new without the tires. If your tires are in good shape, you can ask for $2000 without a thought. Then, with this money you get the 15" + tires and you will feel huge difference not only because they weight only 4.5 kg but also because of their diameter. I had once these wheels and they were awesome!! :D You just can't compare them with stock EK9 wheels mate!

Anything rare is going to cost you more.

I think EP3's look like door wedges! Who cares about modern if its what you want! I dont like modern cars too much.

I have myself just a VTi - and i'd rather have that than a UK EP3!!

well if you get a fresh import chances are a three year old ep3 will have more rust,than an ek9 thats just came into the country, i can tell you this from experience i imported the white ek9 in my avatar and have imported many other cars, it had virtually no rust anywhere, if you get a fresh import and underseal it properly it will last for years.
wheras an ep3 thats been used for 3 years like mine will have seen 3 winters and salt on the roads and starts to go crappy, check in the corners of the engine bay and underneath.

I am pretty sure that JDM ep3s and normal ep3s are both made in swindon.
Its just that the jdm's are shifted to japan to get tweaked and adjusted i.e. LSD, recaros, different ecu other slight things like this.

jdm ep3 made in Japan...NOT swindon:angry:

it would be stupid shipping the whole car from UK to asia...wots the point if they do them better in jap...

my ek4 was produced in japan... i did not import it, however Honda dealer here locally shipped them directly frm jap. u can check with cars chassis number... :)

Back