How To: Home made sump baffles

b16 mini

Ek9 obsession
Donator
Car(s)
1997 Ek9,1996 ek4 siR, 1972 b18c4 mini
this is a little boring, but some people may find it usefull!
just a little write up on a baffeled sump i'm making for the b16a powered mini,
following a bit of information given by raging angel. i was going to increase the fluid capacity, but i'm a bit restricted for room in the mini engine bay:((
(procedure is exactly the same for b16b sumps, i will make one for the ek9 with increased capacity when i have time)

any way here goes:

firstly give the sump a good clean out with some de greaser and a rag,
draw out, cut and shape some card templates:
001.jpg

002.jpg

next up, mark out and cut out the shapes in steel, i used 0.8mm which is ideal for easy shaping, and easy to cut with tin snips:nice:
005.jpg

it's not to easy to see, but around the edges where the pick up pipe will go between i have folded a 10mm downwards edge,

trying the plates for size/shape, a little trim here and there.!
004.jpg

003.jpg

next i cleaned the area to be welded with a die grinder
006.jpg

then tacked the bits in to place:)
007-1.jpg

008.jpg

have spent about an hour so far, its not to far off finished,just a bit of cleaning out etc to do now, get rid of any bits floating round in there, give the outside a coat of paint, and its pretty much done,:nice:

******** update time! ********
gave the areas around the wels a good clean up to remove any loose weld spatter or any other crud, used a rotary wire brush for this.
002-1.jpg

next up went and found my self a old speaker and removed the magnet from it,
003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

you may well be thinking what the hell has this got to do with a sump:lol:

heres the important part!
i placed the magnet in the sump, and partly filled it with old engine oil and petrol and gave it a good slush round using a paint brush this should get any bits of swarf(bits of metal etc) out

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

leave it to soak for a while, drain the oil back out, remove the magnet rinse again with a bit of de greaser and it should be nice and clean inside:nice: NOTE: do not paint the inside of the sump, if the paint comes off it will block your pick up strainer!
hope this info is usefull.

Last edited:
Wow, very nice, gonna use this for best threads of December :nice:

Wow, very nice, gonna use this for best threads of December :nice:

ah, cool, glad you like it:nice:
its something any one with basic welding skills can do.
will update during the week.

Thats helpful cause i have the ability and provision to make this but wasn't sure of what exactly to do.

Thanks you've just saved me £250!

Cheers

Last edited:
Great info mate!!!!!!!!:nice:
& you have just save a good few of us some ££££
:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

The best part about all this is i remember a few months back myself, b16 mini, RA and a few other members had a discussion on oil pan baffles and b16 mini said he was going to try and make one, its nice to see you followed through with the plan bro :nice:

cheers guys:)
for the shapes of the baffels i just roughly copied a picture posted by raging angel.
simple but hopefully effective:nice:
will update later.

Last edited:
that's cool fair play b16 mini nice work:nice:

what kind of welder did you use arc or mig?

that's cool fair play b16 mini nice work:nice:

what kind of welder did you use arc or mig?

cheers baz,
used a mig welder, the material is a bit thin for arc welding really,
could do with getting my self a new hand set thingy, the button plays up and wire feed stutters a bit at the moment:angry:

origional post now updated:nice:

good idea with the magnet, i just used an entire can of parts cleaner lol :nice:

good idea with the magnet, i just used an entire can of parts cleaner lol :nice:

i started cleaning it that way but was running out of it, then i had the magnet brain wave:lol:

nice write up, intersting how the honda pan is semi baffled from the factory,,

can see where the black pieces are kinda like a mini baffle that are to be extended for the mugen style baffle,

002.jpg

thanks olly,
its strange why they just didn't make the baffle full length from factory:confused:

Back