Oil around spark plug threads

Jokeshopbeard

VTEC Addict!
Alright Guys,

Took my valve cover off today to do my valve clearances and after taking out No 1 cylinder spark plug noticed that there was a bit of oil round the thread.

The tip of the plug in this cylinder as well as all other cylinders looked good (nice light brown) and it did not appear that any oil had entered the actual cylinder itself.

Also doesn't look like its leaked from the valve cover seal as I can see none down the spark plug tunnel.

Does this mean there's an issue with the head gasket? What should the next step be?

DSC04124.jpg

DSC04125.jpg

Cheers

Well you can do a compression check to be on the safe side but this is pretty normal for most B series engine, there are 4 seals (one of each spark plug) that go between the head and the valve cover, those things always tend to leak a little bit. My engine does it too, the spark plug tip will be dry so i know oil does not get in the combustion chamber but the threads are wet with oil, you can replace the seals to fix the problem or removed them, clean them and reinstall them using silicone.

as said try put some liquid gasket around the rubber on the Rocker Cover (on the 4 spark plug holes).

From the picture, it might be just because the plug wasn't tight enough, I can see the washer hasn't even been crushed. so that should stop it going down the thread.

no problem, i remember i nearly freaked out the first time i saw that :lol: i thought my engine was a dieing haha!

i spilt a load of oil once when topping up, it worked its way down around the plug, and then when i removed the plug it ran down the plug thread, looked the same as your picture.

Digging this thread up from the past. Just done a service and had exactly the same on my plugs.
Feared the worst and then used the search and found this which as totally put my mind at rest as the spark plug tips are dry as a bone :D

Digging this thread up from the past. Just done a service and had exactly the same on my plugs.
Feared the worst and then used the search and found this which as totally put my mind at rest as the spark plug tips are dry as a bone :D

haha, glad people are finding these old threads helpful :) i still remember the day i posted this in this thread :)

Back