Oil filter?

mick218

JDM Ek4 Hatch
hey guys, what brand oil filter should i buy, wanna give a good engine service next week.

oemjapparts.com

Either HAMP or OEM HONDA filter

Hamp! IMO it Raises the oil pressure by 5psi keeping things more stable!

Or just go OEM Genuine Honda

hamp, FTW :nice:

Sorry for the shitty pics but they'll do. In order from left to right we have: K&N, Mobil 1 Extended life filter, Purelator PureOne, and Fram tough gaurd.

attachment.php

Apon cutting open the cases of the K&N and Mobile units you'll notice that the filtering materials look the same; This is because they are the same material in a differant case(and one costs more).

K&N:
attachment.php

Mobil:
attachment.php

The mid-grade filter here is the Purelator PureOne filter. It shares similar construction to the Mobils and K&Ns with the tighter filter packing, metal end pieces and check valves.

Purelator:
attachment.php

Now it comes down to the Fram filter. Crap for packing, the end pieces look to be kindergarden construction paper hot glued to the filter media, there's no check valve and they typicaly have less oil capacity than most filters. Feast your eyes apon the most sold filter in the Advance chain of stores:

Fram Tough Guard(aka their preium filter under the racing filter)
attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm sure some of you have seen setups like this. For those who haven't I hope it serves as an educational aid that fram = garbage.

Attachments

• $filters.jpg
    $filters.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 11,104
  • $knoil.jpg
    $knoil.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 9,128
  • $pure.jpg
    $pure.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 3,434
  • $mobil.jpg
    $mobil.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 8,976
  • $fram.jpg
    $fram.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 8,994
  • $fram1.jpg
    $fram1.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 8,906
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rvm
thanks guys, i went to oemjapparts and ordered hamp oil filter and some ngk spark plugs and leads. is very good price all under 90 euro inc delivery

:) i'd rip open a HAMP but i have to order them, there not sold locally but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: rvm
I had heard the S2000/F20c oil filter was an improvement over stock due to its larger capacity.Has anyone experience using these ?.

I think is useless oem filter is better for oil pressure and a biger one just make you to loose oil pressure:((

I've got a Mugen oil filter, anyone know how they perform? Wouldn't surprise me if they are just rebranded Hamp filters!

I just use OEM Honda filters for daily driving, does the job. I've used HAMP before for track or spirited driving, not sure can feel the difference but it suppose to be better for oil pressure etc.

OEM Honda Filter is Very good, and the Hamps is made to the same quality only it is made in Thailand hance the price difference, but mugen Filter has the same dimension and size it uses better Filter paper to trap more unwanted particals so if you are after performance and you do your SVC every 5000 Km's and frequen Track Day then Mugen is what I'll recommend, other wise OEM honda oil filter / Hamp Oil Filter is best for honda engine, I wouldnt trust anything eles.:D

Back