New Engine build - Civic race car

Kris!

So 3 weeks ago the b16b stroker (1800cc) let go with Piston No3 getting too hot. This was no-ones fault but mine as I was on a budget and wanted to keep the original pistons, even though they were high maileage

So, you live and learn and the only way is up as they say, but with under 3 weeks to go until the last 2 races at Brands, ordering parts from abroad and getting it built was going to be a tall order, but with Richy from Performance Autoworks at the helm, I had faith
Also I played a very small part in this story as I didnt see tha car from the night it died, until the night before testing so I cant really take any credit for this superb build. Richy took charge from day one and spent his evenings and weekends making sure eveything was right for when the next piece of the jigsaw arrived.

So, the new build (engine and extra bits that the Civic needed to race) contained of................................

Block oversized to 81,5mm
ACL race bearings
Brian Crower forged rods
ARP rod bolts
Wiseco 81.5mm Pistons and rings
Crower stage 3 cams
Crower valves
Skunk2 valve springs and retainers
Ported and polished head/3 angle valve job (plus lots of other machining to remove damage)
RC 310 injectors
Walbro fuel pump
Uprated FPR
Autronics ECU

Plus..........

ACT 6 puk paddle clutch
19 row oil cooler, lines and sandwhich plate
New Hawk Pads and Wilwood discs

I know theres probably loads I missed but i'm sure Richy will be along to add a few more bits that he slaved away at

As you can see the amount of work was huge, especially as most of the parts had to be ordered and once built, Richy had to clock up 300+ miles in his own time to bed the clutch in and run the motor in, then book the dyno to get it mapped again..........very impressive!

So, the end result was great with more useable power all the way through the rev range and no need for silly high revs. The new rev limit is 9000rpm with peak power at 8800rpm. The power delivery is very smooth wherever you are in the rev range and really shows what can be done with the B-series engine.

Figures...............well I will happily post the rolling road figures below but on one condition. I dont want people posting saying they are too high, too low, the rollers are out, the results were faked, the transmission losses dont correspond with the wattage in the light bulb used in your bathroom..........I dont care!!!!!! The figures are purely there to show what it produced on the dyno on that day. I'm not really concerned with numbers aslong as it performs as i want it to perform on track, which it does

243bhp - 152.1ft/lb torque

Make of it what you will, but Richy has built yet another quality Honda motor that he should be proud of.........well done that man

looking good, power seems on par, i do believe you have room for more power though, what kind of fuel are you using?

i hope you don't have another cylinder #3 problem... if your reusing the same injectors you might want to them flow checked.

Last edited:
All the best with the new build for the next race dude!.... when is the next event? :nice:

Blinx........Everything mentioned in the list above has been fitted new, injectors and everything as the last motor was pretty much stock bar the ITR crank and rods. I know the stock throttle body is a little restrictive but i'm limited to 250bhp anyway as thats the class I want to be in next season (GT250), so I have to be carefull what i do next.

It was mapped on Shell V-Power (98 ron I believe) as there will soon be a ban on octane boosters etc etc so wanted to use a fuel that was readily available.

EK9 turbo........last 2 races were last weekend mate at Brands Hatch which was the 1st outing for the new engine, not out again until around April next year which will give me time to pay off some debts :((

:nice:

Well im looking forward to the next installment, its real cool to have EK9.org community members competing in this sort of event! :nice:

Nice one mate!

this guy richy sounds like he knows what hes doing and not only that shows a great interest as well being very proffesional......

I may concider going to him for my 1800cc build....

Can i ask how much he charges to fit just an 1800cc kit with machined head for slightly oversized pistons?

PM me if you dont want to discuss... I just need a good realiable builder that i can trust.

glad to hear its all new parts, 243bhp is pretty close to 250bhp i would stop there and work on other things like aero or gearing, braking, or just save up money for tires lol...

glad to hear its all new parts, 243bhp is pretty close to 250bhp i would stop there and work on other things like aero or gearing, braking, or just save up money for tires lol...

Agreed mate, quite happy with the gearing at present although i'm changing the Quaife LSD for a plate type-diff as i've never tried one before. Brakes are wilwood and pretty good, although a refurb and some trial and error with some new pads is also on the cards.......its never ending I swear :D
Tyres next year will be governed by a single tyre manufacturer so no Idea what we will be using.......Nankang budgtes probably :D

Dan, I cant recommend Richy enough as he a genuine Honda enthausiast aswell as honest and very reliable.....something some tuning garages seem to lack around here! Prices are hard to judge as alot of my work was done by him after work hours and on weekends to keep costs down and as part of my sponsorship deal. Your best best is to either Email him or give a ring as he's been bombarded with B18c builds the last few months so has most parts in stock and can price up your specific requirements etc

Either email him on info@performance-autoworks.co.uk or call him on 01285 711 733, he will be more than happy to chat to you about it :nice:

Agreed mate, quite happy with the gearing at present although i'm changing the Quaife LSD for a plate type-diff as i've never tried one before. Brakes are wilwood and pretty good, although a refurb and some trial and error with some new pads is also on the cards.......its never ending I swear :D
Tyres next year will be governed by a single tyre manufacturer so no Idea what we will be using.......Nankang budgtes probably :D

i've heard the KAAZ lsd is pretty good, heard people say in comparison it made quiafe seem like an open diff!!!

The Kaaz is the one I was thinking of to be honest. 2 Hondas I race against have them and difference is quite noticeable compared to the Quaife. Really looking forward to trying it out now!

Dan, I cant recommend Richy enough as he a genuine Honda enthausiast aswell as honest and very reliable.....something some tuning garages seem to lack around here! Prices are hard to judge as alot of my work was done by him after work hours and on weekends to keep costs down and as part of my sponsorship deal. Your best best is to either Email him or give a ring as he's been bombarded with B18c builds the last few months so has most parts in stock and can price up your specific requirements etc

Either email him on info@performance-autoworks.co.uk or call him on 01285 711 733, he will be more than happy to chat to you about it :nice:

Thats great Kris, what i like to hear :nice: Thanks for that.

I will be giving him an E-mail :)

Pics courtesy of Richy :nice:

b18rebuild.jpg

b18rebuild1.jpg

b18rebuild2.jpg

b18rebuild3.jpg

b18rebuild5.jpg

b18rebuild4.jpg

b18rebuild6.jpg

b18rebuild8.jpg

b18rebuild7.jpg

b18rebuild9.jpg