Bigger injectors?

DBMatt

K20 EK9 - VTEC Addict
Alright guys!

I'm progressing my engine build slowly but surely for my EK9. I'm now wondering if I will need bigger injectors or not. Spec is as follows:

Standard B16B head on B18C bottom end with the following:

81.5mm CP Forged Pistons 11.5:1
Brian Crower H-Beam Conrods
DC2 Crankshaft lightened & knife edged
ARP Rod Bolts
ACL Race Bearings
4kg Flywheel
Competition Clutch Stage 2
AEM High Capacity Fuel Rail
Blackworks Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
Walbro 255LPH pump

I believe EK9 injectors are 240cc standard, so would they be sufficient for this or should I upgrade anyway been as I already have the fuel pump, regulator & rail?

Not sure what power it will make with supporting bolt ons & the remap but I would guess at 200-220bhp I imagine...

Thoughts appreciated!

Are they good? I haven't heard of them before. So you're saying I will need them then..

Stock injectors will be fine for that setup. I would however recommend having them cleaned and flow tested.

I've got a spare set of injectors should you want a set to send off for cleaning.

The standard injectors should be fine with an uprated pump, I have a similar build and will be upping the injectors to the next size for peace of mind/further tuning as the standard injectors run at 100% duration on there abouts. I think the H series injectors are slightly bigger 290cc from memory.

Unless your making close to 220bhp your stock injectors won't hit 100% duty

Cheers for the inputs!

I was recommended by a tuner to go for bigger injectors whilst I'm building it to allow for future mods if I decide to, always better to have injectors too big than too small right? It is being mapped with Hondata S300 so can alter the fuelling accordingly.

It's interesting you say standard will be fine vtec6000, I'm sure you're correct. I was just going off other websites and supposed "calculators" which recommended 330cc minimum lol

Cheers for the inputs!

I was recommended by a tuner to go for bigger injectors whilst I'm building it to allow for future mods if I decide to, always better to have injectors too big than too small right? It is being mapped with Hondata S300 so can alter the fuelling accordingly.

It's interesting you say standard will be fine vtec6000, I'm sure you're correct. I was just going off other websites and supposed "calculators" which recommended 330cc minimum lol

It's quite a mild setup mate as vtec6000 says your standard ones should be fine but if your planning on building at it in the future then up the size I've got rc injectors unsure on size but when vtec6000 mapped it he said they were 550cc plus haha

Yeah I guess so. I am tempted to shove some cams in it.. I wanted the bottom end for the lightened crank & the larger displacement mostly :D I bought it with those parts installed & have just rebuilt it with new bearings, rings, rehone and all that.

I was looking at Grams 550cc myself. Undecided whether to go for some cams or not really. I will be taking the '9 off the road over winter to work on it, so might be worth shoving a set of cams in coz the head will probably need taking apart anyway so could upgrade valves & springs etc.

Trust me with stock cams your not going to need anything bigger than stock injectors. If your planning more aggressive cams down the line then sure it won't do any harm to upgrade injectors now, will save having to change them later on.

Have you bought the pistons already? I suggest going with higher compression pistons than 11.5:1, especially if planning on fitting some aggressive camshafts eventually...

Haha I may well buy those! Suppose it's worth doing hey!

I have the pistons already, I bought the block pre built with the parts installed so I didn't have a say really in that & not buying new pistons now lol. I rebuilt the bottom end with new bearings, rings etc. so it's already built up with those pistons. They'll be alright I suppose... Lol.

Back