LSD question (I think)

JayEm

Okay first off I apologise if this is in the wrong place or if this question has been asked before and what not lol!

I'm a complete noob when it comes to engines and all that stuff lol I do the outside, not the inside.

Anyway, recently had the 9 up on a ramp having some new tyres put on the front and the guy found that when he rotated one wheel the other side stayed still. He wasn't sure if it was supposed to do that and mentioned something about the LSD. So just thought I'd ask on here as you all seem so nice and hopefully wont call me a fanny for not knowing about engines lol

Thank you in advance!

See., My EK4 SiR had the optional viscous LSD (Less hardcore than the helical found in the Type R's), And on a ramp, moving one wheel would make the other turn in the optional direction. Great, it proved it had an LSD locking both wheels.

However, My DC2 Type R with LSD doesn't do this, but it definitely drives like it has a pretty snappy LSD installed, do they need some torque sent through them before you would see this effect?

I too would like some light shed on this topic.

Last edited:
It is my understanding that a Viscous LSD only works when lots of power is put in one side and it locks the diff so when it is on a ramp with both wheels in the air it the wheels will turn in different directions as it is still acting like a standard diff.

I THINK that the diff in the type R will lock one wheel but let the other turn then turn the gear box but I am not 100% sure on this as I have not had a huge amount of experience or research into these.

My LSD spins both wheels the same direction, but then I have a plate LSD.
Helical diffs don't work when one wheel is in the air. This may be why.
Easiest way to check it is to go out to a round about or a half decent corner and plant 2nd gear.

Easiest way to check it is to go out to a round about or a half decent corner and plant 2nd gear.

Disclaimer : Ensure conditions are dry :nerv:.

And if I come out of the corner alive, this is good? XD

So are the wheels supposed to spin independently when sitting on a jack or not -_-" just wanted to make sure my 9 wasn't poorly lol!

So are the wheels supposed to spin independently when sitting on a jack or not -_-" just wanted to make sure my 9 wasn't poorly lol!

I THINK that yours is fine and only one wheel should spin, I will check on mine tonight for you :)

If you do it with enough conviction you'll feel it tug at the wheel alittle and you'll feel the diff pull the car round the corner.
If it doesn't work you'll get a lot of understeer or inside wheel spinning and going nowhere.

If you do it with enough conviction you'll feel it tug at the wheel alittle and you'll feel the diff pull the car round the corner.
If it doesn't work you'll get a lot of understeer or inside wheel spinning and going nowhere.

When I go round a corner quickly I do notice that it almost tries to pull back thru the steering wheel. Its almost like I just have to grip it a little harder as it goes through the corner. Just something I have noticed that this car does as coming from a 1.4 Astra that didnt really like corners. Is this what you mean?

Yes that's it assuming your on the power when this happens?
Diff works then! Ive never heard of a Honda LSD having failures either.

Yes that's it assuming your on the power when this happens?
Diff works then! Ive never heard of a Honda LSD having failures either.

Yes definitely on the power lol its only very slight feedback but is alot if you're not used to or expecting it lol I didn't think anything was wrong as these things might as well be on rails through corners! It was just something that was mentioned and was bugging me :D thankyoooo

It is my understanding that a Viscous LSD only works when lots of power is put in one side and it locks the diff so when it is on a ramp with both wheels in the air it the wheels will turn in different directions as it is still acting like a standard diff.

I THINK that the diff in the type R will lock one wheel but let the other turn then turn the gear box but I am not 100% sure on this as I have not had a huge amount of experience or research into these.
in a viscous diff there is silicone fluid in the diff and when one wheel spins faster than the other the fluid heats up and hardens causing the other wheel to lock to the same speed.
in a helical diff there is dog clutches on each shaft and when one shaft spins faster (wheel spin) it causes the shaft to suffer axial thrust making the shaft move outwards from the diff locking up the dog clutches making the diff 'lock up' :drive:

Back