IAVC Question

Luger

Hi guys,

Just a quick question......

Does the IAVC have a setting screw to set the idle or is the idle set via the throttle body?

I'm sure it works on the temperature of the coolant which operates a valve, located on the back of the IM. Don't think you can set it, If it's idling oddly it needs taken off and cleaned or replaced if the clean out doesn't work.

I'm sure it works on the temperature of the coolant which operates a valve, located on the back of the IM. Don't think you can set it, If it's idling oddly it needs taken off and cleaned or replaced if the clean out doesn't work.

Hmmm.....

This is really weird as my mechanic told me he needed to set the idle via the IAVC but I'm really in doubt now wether he was actually referring to the IAVC or the throttle body. He cleaned it but engine still kept stalling when cold. He then set the idle in some way which made it idle good for a few weeks but now it's stalling again when cold.

Wondering if something got messed up when setting the IAVC or whatever was done to it or if the IAVC has actually gone.......

This damn idling is driving me nuts......

The idle can be set via the idle screw located on the TB.
Clean the iacv with petrol first though.

There is no adjustment to be made to the IACV(mechanically), there is a air bypass screw on throttle body which is used to set your base idle, it is important that this is set right. To set your base idle let the engine fully warm up then disconnect the IACV plug and adjust the base idle screw until your idle sits at 550rpm. The engine may stall when you unplug the IACV so what can help is if you hold the throttle open a little while disconnecting IACV plug and then gradually release throttle so revs drop at a slow steady rate rather than a sudden drop in rpm.

Once you have set the base idle turn off engine, reconnect the IACV plug and then disconnect battery for 1 minute to reset ecu.

There is no adjustment to be made to the IACV(mechanically), there is a air bypass screw on throttle body which is used to set your base idle, it is important that this is set right. To set your base idle let the engine fully warm up then disconnect the IACV plug and adjust the base idle screw until your idle sits at 550rpm. The engine may stall when you unplug the IACV so what can help is if you hold the throttle open a little while disconnecting IACV plug and then gradually release throttle so revs drop at a slow steady rate rather than a sudden drop in rpm.

Once you have set the base idle turn off engine, reconnect the IACV plug and then disconnect battery for 1 minute to reset ecu.

:nice:

Thanks so much for the replies which make perfect sense :nice:

Just been on the phone with the mechanic to ask him from where he had originally set the idling and he said he is 100% certain he set it directly from the IACV. This is so mind boggling :nono::nono::nono:

Next Friday I will take the car back to him and check out the IACV as i want to see for myself where on earth is this adjustment thingy on the IACV itself and see if we can set the idle again using your method from the TB instead of the IACV.

I only hope that if this IACV adjustment thing really exists, nothing was messed up in the first place by touching it.......fingers crossed :nerv::nerv::nerve:

:thanks:

Ok so removed the IACV and it actually does have a setting adjuster on the side of it. I uploaded a pic of it and as you can see it does have a sort of grub screw which you can adjust. I left it as the mechanic had set it and hopefully it did not get messed up in the first place.

When I unplugged the IACV the engine kept stalling even though I kept the throttle open and slowly let it go. I think that was not a good sign at all. So what I did was open up the throttle body with engine off so when I started it was on 2000 revs. When I unplugging the IACV the engine went down to 1000 revs. Then I set the throttle body slowly down to 550 revs, switched off the engine, removed negative from battery to reset the ECU. I now need the engine to cool down and start it again and see if the issue is sorted or not. Failing this I assume I just need to find a good second hand IACV :(:)(:)((

Fingers crossed.......

Thanks for all your help :thanks:

Attachments

• $20140718_112500.jpg
    $20140718_112500.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 228
That's not an adjusting screw , it's just a plug the manufacturers put there to assemble the iacv.That screw is also locked in there afaik ,almost impossible to get it out.

That's not an adjusting screw , it's just a plug the manufacturers put there to assemble the iacv.That screw is also locked in there afaik ,almost impossible to get it out.

Really??? :shocked:

Now that's embarrassing to say the least if it's true! Can someone else confirm this please? :please:

It had a sort of red anti tamper paint on the grub screw and it can turn either way according to the mechanic!

I'm just lost now........ :confused::confused::confused:

That screw on IACV shouldn't have been touched. As I posted above, you adjust the air bypass screw on TB, this is the only screw you should be adjusting to alter the base idle rpm.

That screw on IACV shouldn't have been touched. As I posted above, you adjust the air bypass screw on TB, this is the only screw you should be adjusting to alter the base idle rpm.

Thats good to know and at the same time wished i didn't hear that :nono:

I have a bad feeling that its time for a new IACV.......

I'm off to check out the mess made with the IACV. Engine cold by now and see how its going to idle......

F**k my life! :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Thanks Vtec6000......all info given much appreciated :thanks:

has anyone tried using a honda crv iacv on their engine? it looks identical except the crv doesnt have any coolant lines running to it.

Back