Erratic Idle/ Stalling when cold

krysiz

Hi

I recently had my tappets aligned and am now experiencing erratic idling when stationary and stalling whilst driving with the clutch fully depressed.

I've read many people have issues with the IACV but could it be something else specifically related to the work I had carried out, for example TB gasket/ MAP sensor etc?

I'm not particularly mechanically minded, so any advice to help get things started would be hugely appreciated :bow:

If your IACV is playing up, the car will rev up and down on its own. Normally between 800 - 1500rpm. As the sensor doesn't know when the coolant temperature has reached normal operating to drop the idle.

Has any of the vacuum pipes been messed around with, as these can cause some idle issues? Check to make sure they are all connected around the intake manifold etc

The pipe feeding into the rocker cover was removed a number of times during that day whilst the valves were adjusted and later that evening when installing a new valve cover. I made sure it was correctly replaced and that the rubber hose was clamped with the clip.

Just seems strange that this would suddenly happen after the valve adjustment leading me to believe it wouldn't be IACV necessarily but perhaps the pipes as you say...

The pipe feeding into the rocker cover won't make a difference to the Idle of the car, its just a breather for the head of the engine pretty much.

The other thing could be that the valve tappets weren't adjusted correctly, probably a little too tight. When the 10mm locking nut is tightened on the tappet then sometimes it can also tighten the valve adjusting screw. I would get these checked again, you can check it yourself pretty easily with a set of feeler gauges.

Which vacuum pipes should I be checking over?

When I returned with the car, the tappets were reading roughly 0.006" intake and 0.007" exhaust which I believe to be correct.

Yeah those clearances are fine.

I would look online for a vacuum diagram for your engine and check them out to be sure they are connected properly and have no pinholes in them.

Also check that the throttle position sensor and MAP sensor plugs have not been mixed up as they have the same plug pattern.

Have you cleaned out the IACV?

Try resetting the ecu. Disconnect negative battery lead for 1 minute

I reset the ECU the very next day...Haven't driven for a few days since so will take it for a spin and see how it is.

Yeah those clearances are fine.

I would look online for a vacuum diagram for your engine and check them out to be sure they are connected properly and have no pinholes in them.

Also check that the throttle position sensor and MAP sensor plugs have not been mixed up as they have the same plug pattern.

Have you cleaned out the IACV?

Ok thanks, I will look for a guide. I'm leaving the IACV until the last possible moment, want to rule out everything else first.

This happened to me a few years back and it turned out to be varying spark plugs so check those! You may find yours are not all the same or are the wrong ones!

Hope this helps :nice:

I'm due to change the spark plugs and swap out the HT leads this weekend so HOPEFULLY something will work out. It's driving me insane.

After having the valves aligned again from cold, it sorted the stalling but the car still drops 500/600rpm and feels quite lumpy.

-Tried 3 different IACVs.

-Vacuum leak test with spraycan.

-TB butterfly gasket and port cleaned out.

-Swapped over entire TB including MAP sensor.

-Re-did tappets from cold to 7 intake, 8 exhaust.

-Bled and replaced coolant twice.

-Compression test showed all cylinders firing within 10psi of one-another

-Tested the PCV valve operation. Tried the sucking/ blowing method, the valve rattles as it should and the revs drop slightly when I clamp the top hose. Also tried clamping the lower hose and for a while it seemed to fix it, then the next day it returned!

-Swapped over O2 sensor from another lower mileage EK9 with no issues.

-ECU is standard and original.

-TPS voltage is perfect.

-Swapped over Distributor twice with two other working examples.

-Timing constantly checked with strobe.

-Rocker cover earth replaced. Gearbox earth and contacts cleaned.

-Spark plugs and HT Leads replaced.

-Checked injectors by unplugging each one. The revs dropped as expected

-Drinks hardly ANY oil. No smoke in VTEC.

-Replaced CPS

-re-did tappets AGAIN to Honda OEM specs

Still no luck....:(

Last edited:
If the engine management light is on I would say lambda sensor :nice:

No engine light and if Lambda is O2 i've already swapped for one from another car with no issues

can you fire up a video of your idle issues?

Issue was sorted after taking the car to City Honda. The valve clearances were incorrect on each occasion. The trims on the diagnostic machine were showing it was running lean. The clearances were adjusted correctly and the car is absolutely fine now!

Back