NGK Iridium Spark Plug, Are they worth the extra money over standard Plugs?

VTI_EG_DAN

Hey all, im ordering my service parts at moment for when I get the EK9,

are the NGK Iridium Spark Plug worth the extra money? or will the standard NGK spark plugs do the job fine?

cars not going to be for track etc, just everyday

Cheers Dan

After all i've read on this forum, i've never seen anything to make me think that the iridium plugs would be worth the extra cash...

what i understand is that Iridium is suppose to conduct better, and can fire at a faster rate? hence why it is used in the K20A and S2000. etc.

and they are suppose to last for 75k miles, but i wouldn't go that long with them

That's the copy of an article that I found here:
Import Performance Cars, Builds, Installations, & Performance Car Repair Tips - Import Tuner Magazine

Fact Or Fiction - Sparkplug Horsepower
Will More Expensive Sparkplugs Increase Horsepower?

By Luke Munnell

This month we introduce a new department to 2NR: Fact or Fiction. Think of it as a blatant rip-off of MythBusters, but with a little Power Pages thrown in for legitimacy. Outrageous manufacturers' claims, long-debated tuning rumors and promises too good to be true will be put to the test once and for all, every month. Got an angle you'd like us to investigate? Drop a line to:
factorfiction@importtuner.com

This month we investigate a common question many "noob" enthusiasts have about "upgrading" OE-recommended sparkplugs to more expensive alternatives: Will it increase power? To find an answer, we hit Ultimate Tuning's Dynojet dyno, armed with some basic tools, our project DC2 and some popular sparkplug contenders.

Test 1: Champion Copper Plus. Costing you $1.49 each, these OEM-style copper plugs are about as basic as it gets. There was some debate as to whether or not they'd actually lose power over our two month old NGK coppers, but after three pulls they proved their worth, powering our B18B to a six-run average of 131.9 whp and 118.6 lb-ft of torque.

Test 2: Champion Platinum Power. While Champion makes no claims that these plugs will increase power, online outlets selling the product do. In theory, platinum is a more efficient conductor than copper and should improve combustion and increase power. When put to a six-run test, however, they brought an average power improvement of only 0.8 whp and 0.0 lb-ft of torque.

Test 3: Champion Iridium. Iridium is a favorite among many big-name aftermarket manufacturers, exotic car OEMs and enthusiasts looking for an extra edge. The center electrode of an iridium plug tapers to a point as it nears its ground; the idea being that it focuses spark energy into a narrow, more intense arc, thus increasing combustion efficiency. These plugs narrowly made it to the dyno at all-the first one we installed broke off in the cylinder head when we tightened it with the specified method of a half-turn past hand-tight. While the plugs' build quality didn't impress us much, they actually made some power on the dyno-2.9 whp and 1.1 lb-ft of torque over the coppers!

Conclusion: Swapping spark plugs can increase power output if the OE-recommended plugs can't ignite air and fuel at maximum efficiency. In modified engines-those with increased compression, forced induction, nitrous or water/alcohol injection-a substantial improvement can be seen through upgrading stock ignition system components. Engines like our N/A, stock-compression B18B do pretty well with the OE-recommended plugs, and frankly we were surprised to see any gains at all; a testament to the benefits of iridium plugs. While we don't agree with "big power" claims often promised by spark plug manufacturers, if they can do a better job of increasing combustion effi ciency, you'll see a few extra ponies and a slight increase in fuel economy. Our suggestion? If you're going to replace your plugs, spend a few extra $$ and buy iridium.

Next month: Fact or Fiction heats up as we test claims of a 25 hp increase from a "performance fuel treatment."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok iv been looking around and cheapest I can get stnadard plugs ek9 are

Plugs (NGK) PFR7G-11 - £29.52

Iridium NGK plugs (BKR7EIX-11PS) £40

so which to go for? or does any one know a place to get the standard plugs cheaper ?!

NGK iridium all the way. Only some iridium plug tips come to a point, contrary to what the article says.

Make sure to get them in the OEM heat range, and gap them before installation.

NGK iridium all the way. Only some iridium plug tips come to a point, contrary to what the article says.

Make sure to get them in the OEM heat range, and gap them before installation.

Which heat range does the B16a2's sparks has?

Correct heat range for the B16b is 6 and the gap should be 1.1mm(on NGK plugs)

That's the copy of an article that I found here:
Import Performance Cars, Builds, Installations, & Performance Car Repair Tips - Import Tuner Magazine

Fact Or Fiction - Sparkplug Horsepower
Will More Expensive Sparkplugs Increase Horsepower?

By Luke Munnell

Test 2: Champion Platinum Power. While Champion makes no claims that these plugs will increase power, online outlets selling the product do. In theory, platinum is a more efficient conductor than copper and should improve combustion and increase power. When put to a six-run test, however, they brought an average power improvement of only 0.8 whp and 0.0 lb-ft of torque.

There are many who argue this point but fail to take into consideration the operating temps. Copper is the better conductor of the two BUT high temperatures cause conductivity to drop so under such instances where an engine in operation under high loads - Platinum has this benefit to be a STABLE conductor.

Iridium is supposed to be even better (stable) during high rpm/high temp. operation.

I'm using these. Theyre supposed to be better than platinum. Discharge is more intense.

I got NGK iridium spark plug with GK power cables in my VTi and i think its worth it.. better response to accelerator and less fuel consumption :)

up to yourself at the end of the day but i have had both and not noticed any difference at all .

cheers --- john

Yes you wont feel, see or gain any difference when you install a set of normal fresh spark plugs to compare because their NEW and Fresh.

But try comparing a 10,000kms Iridium plug and normal plug is a different story.

Basically, its worth the money since they last longer and more reliable than normal plugs, whereas normal plugs loose their efficiency after few thousand kms. You'll save yourself having to change them with every oil change.

Even though NGK states 75,000kms life. I'm sure itll last longer since they always understate to ensure it doesnt fail their claim.

Dont forget BMW, AUDI etc uses their 4 tip platinum Plugs which has a life rating of 100,000kms(60,000miles).

Technically Iridium Plugs supposed to be better than platinum plugs. Spark is stronger and has a faster recoil rate.

i also happen to be a Denso plug dealer for motorcycles & i use iridium plugs on all our bikes, i'll order some IK22's for the EK9 & IK20's for the EK4, the stock oem plugs are a bit worn down now & i need the engine to be fuel efficient, gas is now $6 a gallon over here.

right im totaly confused which ngk ones I need now!

so are these the correct ones?

Iridium NGK plugs BKR7EIX-11PS

?

right im totaly confused which ngk ones I need now!

so are these the correct ones?

Iridium NGK plugs BKR7EIX-11PS

?

For the B16a2 I belive that the NGK Part Number will be BKR6EIX-11. I took it from Summit's web site and that's the one with the correct heat range.

Back