EK9 on S300 Mapped by RDT *REVIEW* GRAPHS ADDED!

Ashy C

So I finally managed to get my S300 mapped, lifes been busy and its been put off for a few months now due to work and social life commitments.

After speaking to Will and meeting him a few times, I felt sure he was the man for the job! So many good reviews and such a great reputation on forums regarding his work, he has so much time for his “clients” and explains everything in great detail. His knowledge is phenomenal and he answered every question and myth I could think of.

I’d booked the car in on Sunday 16th Oct and arranged to meet around noon time, upon arrival, he checked over the car, and carried out his pre dyno inspection, comprising of, compression test, timing checks, and a baseline figure (3 of, which he took the best figure)

A few pics of the car and setting up

RDTmapping021.jpg

RDTmapping027.jpg

RDTmapping003.jpg

RDTmapping023.jpg

RDTmapping022.jpg

RDTmapping024.jpg

RDTmapping004.jpg

This is where the surprise came, the highest figure was 159 whp!!!!!Quite a bit more than what was expected, I always believed the engine to be healthy and this proved it again, coupled with the almost identical 210psi compression across the 4 cylinders. There seems to be something different about the engine, a set of cams was hinted at, but with no way to be sure we cant say for definite, but it made a lot more than most for a base run. Hopefully good midrange figures could be made on the map.

RDTmapping029.jpg

The next step was to install a wideband into the exhaust, which meant removing the O2 sensor in the exhaust, a mammoth task as it was seized tight, due to a trio of issues,

1 – Not lubricated when seated into the boss
2 – Slighty over enthusiasm by myself when changing the manifold a few weeks ago
3 – The manifold having a stainless boss and not a mild steel one like most manifold manufacturers use

After an hours struggling we decided to take the manifold off so we (Will) could get a better angle. …………………Success, it was out. Time to put it back together and start with the mapping,

I tried to leave Will to himself and let him crack on with the task of mapping, but his customer service kept me entertained, as he explained everything he was doing at each step. I’ve seen mapping done before behind closed doors, and without an insight into what is happening with your car.

The day was getting on and daylight started to disappear and became dusk, and still the dyno roared up and the industrial estate was showered in the noise of a B16B revving loudly on a dynapack dyno.

RDTmapping013.jpg

RDTmapping011.jpg

RDTmapping010.jpg

RDTmapping018.jpg

The boiling water out of the dyno, helping to keep the dyno cool.

RDTmapping019.jpg

RDTmapping007.jpg

RDTmapping008.jpg

RDTmapping009.jpg

RDTmapping032.jpg

Will made some great gains midrange and took care every step of the way to ensure everything was correct and tweaked to perfection.

Vtec crossover was set and the graph was almost complete, a few more tweaks to smooth the dips and it was complete.

Peak power was 163WHP and I got good gains across the revs range from 4700 onwards, in some places 20whp!

Summary

163 WHP
Unsure on torque, Will is sending me the graphs
Shift light at 7700rpm
Limiter at 8400rpm
Launch control at 4700rpm

The throttle response is so good, no jerkyness, smooth like silk, and when the accelerator is punched the car responds with zero lag. The shift light is a great touch and launch control works well, definitely helps on standing starts :D

If I’ve forgotten anything I’ll add it, soon as I get the graphs I will upload them.

10 / 10 for Will , I cant recommend him enough!!!!! You wont regret it!

THANKS WILL

This is all!

Glad to hear you are happy mate, definately gonna take my S300 to Will once i can afford to fit it :)

thanks for sharing

Not as far as i'm away, a few things pointed at cams, compared to other standard ish EK9's mine struggled to make torque low down, but made more higher up. Not sure on the outcome, perhaps Will can offer up some more ideas etc? I also know from what will said my injectors are nearly maxxed at the top of the revrange! eeek

Hmm interesting. Very good power non the less.

You should whip the cam cover off see if there are any cam gears at least?

Final Graph

attachment.php

Before VS, After
attachment.php

Interesting comparison with Zen's.... notice the dip in torque @ 6500-7000rpm on both! ... and notice how much more whp this ek9 makes compared to a very healthy one (Zens) maybe this engine has had a good set of cams...

attachment.php

Attachments

• $Ashy C force scaled.JPG
    $Ashy C force scaled.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 995
  • $Ashy C vs Zens.JPG
    $Ashy C vs Zens.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,039
  • $Ashy C before VS after.JPG
    $Ashy C before VS after.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 1,033
Thanks for the graphs Will! It drives so much better on the road, a very noticeable difference.

I'm just gonna enjoy driving it now :)

im in north yorks I didnt know there was a place like that so local ,may take mine there for a standard run

Nice write up. what would be the standard WHP expected from a B16B?
I appreciate the BHP should be 185 ish

Well standard the EK9 IS 185 PS, so about 180 bhp, so then minus 30-40 BHP for transmission loss and fuel quality. I can't say for definate, although like Will said zens was a nice healthy engine and made around 130 ish

Great results right there ! You must be shocked and well pleased :shocked:

Wouldn't have thought any combination of exhaust, manifold etc would give you those figures but what are you're other mods out of interest ?

Looks like another top job by Will anyway :nice:
Planning to take my car up to him again in the near future once my new engine has been run in.

Yeh both tegiwa. I think Zen was running similar

Mods are
Tegiwa replica intake
Tegiwa 421 TODA rep
Ali radiator
Gutted OEM cat
fujitsubo legalisr exhaust

That'd about it plus the map by Will plus a set of cams? Maybe?

Was your car standard before you got hold of it??
Unlikely to be cams if it was.

I think zen had the ITG which has been proven to be poor on EP3's. Also he had a more restrictive catback iirc.

Good results either way though! And good gains from our products!

some good results mate my b18c ek pulled 161 whp on dyno just with decat wasnt sure if mine had cams or not

Back