SPOON ECU vs STANDARD **** RESULTS****

Ashy C

After owning a SPOON ECU for 12 months i decided to see what power my car was making, while i was at it and had the dyno booked for 2 hours i thought i may aswell compare it against my standard ecu.

Car Spec:

Car is a '99 Civic Type R EK9
92,000 Miles
B16B
SPOON ECU
Mugen Replica CAI
Mugen 4-1 Manifold
Hollow Standard Cat
Fujitsubo LegalisR Stainless exhaust system
Running on Shell Vpower 99 Ron fuel

The first runs were on the SPOON

Both runs made 191bhp and 190.9bhp

SPOONECU.jpg

The two runs gave a good result and were above my expected result of circa 180bhp

Next up was the fuel/AFR run, the probe was attatched to the rear of the exhaust, power was expected to drop due to the restriction

C360_2011-06-1809-51-53.jpg

C360_2011-06-1809-51-42_org.jpg

The graph

SpoonECUwithAFR.jpg

I wasnt sure what this meant i knew a rough idea of where the curve needed to be, but after some examination by the tuner he seemed very pleased with the fueling, with only a minor blemish, BUT still within his accepted limits when tuning.

NEXT UP : STANDARD HONDA ECU

The challenger, weighing in at £400 less expensive than the SPOON and standard from factory was the OBD2B HONDA ECU with standard map produced by HONDAS finest. Expectations were high, hopefully seeing a drop in power to justify the SPOON ecu cost

THE RESULTS

190.6 BHP (ONLY 0.4BHP off peak power of the SPOON )

StandardECU.jpg

Another run was done with similar results, time for the fuel/afr run, as before power was expected to dip.

StandardECUwithAFR.jpg

As you can see from the graph, the fueling is less smooth especially around 6000rpm , this would explain the "VTEC kick" . The tuner said he prefered the SPOON ecu fueling as it was smoother just like the power delivery.

SPOON vs STANDARD

SPOONVSTANDAFR.jpg

As you can see the big gains come from having VTEC coming in at 5500, but by 6600 the ECU's run the same power, apart from the standard one limiting at 8500, compared to the spoon at 9200, although this isnt shown as he let off as power started decreasing at 9000rpm

All in all he was impressed with the SPOON ecu and liked the extra grunt midrange and smoother curves, the HONDA was a good map too.

The big question "Which would you run?"

His answer was infact opposite to what i expected, " SPOON", as explained above, he liked the idea of extra grunt between 5500 and 6600rpm, he said it more day to day driving as overtaking could be a bit lasier, plus having the extra torque would be beneficial.

Just shows that over butt dyno aint always the best!

Summary

SPOON has a wider power band
SPOON helps with gearchanges as if chnged earlier and you miss VTEC in the next gear you still have power
SPOON has a smoother delivery and less of a spike on the fueling map
SPOON has a higher limit, helping with track driving and avoiding a gearchange mid corner

HONDA has the impressive VTEC kick
HONDA has a limiter lower than the SPOON which helps stop engine damage (Valve spring damage etc)
HONDA is free with any EK9

These are my findings, they are completely un biased as i ran it for a whole year, what i do like is the vtec kick, i dont feel i have lost anything now i'm not running the SPOON, next up is a custom map in August and i will compare again.

Reactions: _JT
Great review! So basically the stock ek9 ecu is just as good and safer and from what ive read i think its pointless really getting a spoon ecu!

i have the spoon ecu on my jordan andi noticed big gains over stock.

It would be great to see some other comparisons, i was truly shocked by the results!

I would rather keep my £400 tbh, and spend it on ***, drugs and rock n roll

i was kinda debating puttin a spoon in cos a new sumone selling one but from looking at that may aswell just keep my standard one!

very good write up, i just sold my spoon ecu to teamemperor, i didn't find much difference with it on my stock ek9 but he did on his which has a few mods done.
so everyone's to there own i suppose

When I fitted my spoon ecu, I didn't notice any 'power' increase, but it's drive ability which has increased, much prefer it over standard ecu.

good job! Some questions. Do you know how much stock b16b produce there? As i think that mahas are a bit strict on their measurements, and it also seems strange to score only 5 hp more comparing to stock bearing in mind all these mods.
Secondly,Spoon proposes this ecu with what mods? As to my mind, revving so high without stonger valvetrain would be overkill for reliability in the long run. i am impressed that spoon didn't gain in hp more from leaner a/f ratios which might mean that it is lean enough factory spec. To be honest i would be expect something more, as what spoon did could easily be done from any homemade obd1 chipped ecu with an amatuer but skilled home tuner.

thats a fantastic review,
on teh road teh spoon ecu makes teh car so much more driveable,,

good job! Some questions. Do you know how much stock b16b produce there? As i think that mahas are a bit strict on their measurements, and it also seems strange to score only 5 hp more comparing to stock bearing in mind all these mods.
Secondly,Spoon proposes this ecu with what mods? As to my mind, revving so high without stonger valvetrain would be overkill for reliability in the long run. i am impressed that spoon didn't gain in hp more from leaner a/f ratios which might mean that it is lean enough factory spec. To be honest i would be expect something more, as what spoon did could easily be done from any homemade obd1 chipped ecu with an amatuer but skilled home tuner.

It is quite possible that the rollers are strict, Lambs garage has a really impressive reputation and his rollers are his trade, he custom tunes everything , (google Steve Perez , he had just set up his rally car before it got ship to Belgium, over a £1million spent on it) But my friend took his standardish Integra R there and it made 187bhp, a few months later with only plugs and leads swapped it made 207 at a different dyno, read into that as you want.

What i will say is what he quoted to me : " I need consistancy from my rollers as i need consistancy to get the best out of the engines when i tune them, if i have fabricated results i cant tune a car to its fullest potential" He's been there 50years now, i'm guessing he's approaching 60 years old so he's not in it for bragging rights like some places.

The EK9 is 185 PS standard, which is 182BHP. So 9 HP gain over standard is about expected, possibly slightly more should have been achieved????

Yeh prolonged high revving with shorten the lifespan of an engine not designed to go above 8500 from factory.

As said earlier i will be getting it mapped and then re-dyno'd at the same place for a direct comparison.

On the road the spoon makes the power slightly more accesible, although once you get into VTEC there is very little difference. We are talking minor differences with on the road performance between the two.

Last edited:
il be getting my spoon ecu dyno'd on 30th with the rest on here, so will see how the graph looks compared to yours :)

Sweet, run the standard ECU too, only takes seconds to change it!

Nice review ;)

I would run oem ecu and save the money for a S300 and a proper tuned map.

GREAT effort mate! :nice:

:rvm:

I LOVE hard data, the only thing that really matters :D Of course it's personal but I would not pay 400 quid for this result. Rather get a chipped P28/30 and have it remapped.

Back