Why change your engine oil every 6 months?

rvm

admin
Staff member
Car(s)
EK9/Civic
Well, the answer is simple, the oil loses viscosity (and other protective aditives etc) causing engine wear, thats why honda recommends changing the oil disregarding how many miles you put on the engine.

Lets get technical:

Shear stability is a measure of the amount of viscosity an oil may lose during operation. Oil experiences very high stresses in certain areas of the engine such as in the oil pump, cam shaft area , piston rings, and any other areas where two mating surface areas squeeze the oil film out momentarily . Most multigrade engine oils contain special types of additives, called Viscosity Index Improvers, which are composed of very large, viscosity-controlling molecules. As the oil passes through the engine, these molecules are permanently sheared or torn apart over time, causing the additive to lose its viscosity-contributing advantages which reduces the oils ability to maintain its higher number. for example 10w30.

Synthetic Oils do not rely as much on special Viscosity Index Improver additives and will experience little permanent viscosity loss.

Well today I want to share with you guys this photo:

attachment.php

It looks like the oil has been running on the engine for about 10,000 miles right?

WRONG

I used the oil for about 500 miles, but it has been running on my motor for about 11 months.

Some mechanics tell you that you can change your oil every 3500, 7000 miles (depending on driving conditions) and that it doesn't matter if you run the same oil for more than 6 months.

But now you can prove them they're wrong :naughty:

Change your oil every 6 months guys!!

Attachments

• $oldoil.jpg
    $oldoil.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 2,517
change every 5-6,000 km especially for the type r engines.
they like to consume that oil when reved!

Wouldn't the same thing apply to the gearbox oil too?

In my personal opinion, not really if you use your car for a daily drive or ocassional track sessions.

My recommendation is to install a magnetic oil drail plug (like mfactory ones) to pick up any debri inside the gearbox. Currently I'm running one in my car and I love it.

If you track your car often or got a full race ek9 you then you should change the gearbox oil at least every 2-3 engine oil changes.

This is my personal recommendation, I hope Raging Angel or Mfactory reads this thread so they can give us their pro advice.

good ,, my engine is k20a2 ,,,
What kind of oil for k20a2 ?
i need the best one ,,

If you track your car often or got a full race ek9 you then you should change the gearbox oil at least every 2-3 engine oil changes.

This is my personal recommendation, I hope Raging Angel or Mfactory reads this thread so they can give us their pro advice.

We recommend that your transmission fluid be changed every 2nd engine oil change even if you are using a helical LSD.

The main reason for this is the transmission fluid has no way to cool/circulate/filter itself UNLESS you have an external pump that drives it into a cooler.

Transmission fluids tend to have a bit longer of a shelf life because of the need to withstand higher operating temperatures normally.

good ,, my engine is k20a2 ,,,
What kind of oil for k20a2 ?
i need the best one ,,

We recommend Torco for transmissions and engines.

Some mechanics tell you that you can change your oil every 3500, 7000 miles (depending on driving conditions) and that it doesn't matter if you run the same oil for more than 6 months.

Change your oil every 6 months guys!!

this may seem stupid, you're saying the miles you put on the engine is a more important factor than time between oil changes?? or vice versa

this may seem stupid, you're saying the miles you put on the engine is a more important factor than time between oil changes?? or vice versa

No, thats what mechanics say, even the honda manual says that if you live in Canada, you should change the oil every 3500 miles or six months, but if you live in the USA you should change it every 7000 miles...
:D

also wondering are you advising against using semi synthetic ??

Back