New here and have a few question to about the Ek9 Swap

BDN

Hi everyone

I am planning to do an engine swap with a 96-00 civic hatch, haven't gotten the car yet. I would like to know if there are any implications to putting a B16b into any civic hatch of that year?

So basically my plan is to buy a civic hatch for as cheap as I can and from where I am, about 4k ish and swapping a B16b into, and changing it into a CTR

Is this possible and would you say it's something for a beginner? I have worked on engines before but nothing to extensive. Money will not play a major factor and tools and resourses such as engine hoist, I can all attain.

The chassis is something I am also wondering about, is there any major difference between the CTR's chassis and any hatch of that year(96-00)?

BDN said:
Hi everyone

I am planning to do an engine swap with a 96-00 civic hatch, haven't gotten the car yet. I would like to know if there are any implications to putting a B16b into any civic hatch of that year?

So basically my plan is to buy a civic hatch for as cheap as I can and from where I am, about 4k ish and swapping a B16b into, and changing it into a CTR

Is this possible and would you say it's something for a beginner? I have worked on engines before but nothing to extensive. Money will not play a major factor and tools and resourses such as engine hoist, I can all attain.

The chassis is something I am also wondering about, is there any major difference between the CTR's chassis and any hatch of that year(96-00)?

before we can tell you what you need, we need to know what car your starting off with. civic is too vauge. also what country are you in?

Installing the engine its going to be easy, especially if the car you buy has a vtec engine.

The chassis is totally different, it has a lot of reinforments, and bars, the car handles perfect stock, you can buy all the parts in the USA without any problems.

You're planning also getting recaro seats + interior parts?

welcome to the ek9.org community :)

Ty for all those insightful comments

Well I did some reading I, found out the model I am most likely to get, a CX or DX (EK4)cause those are the only one that I can get that come in a hatchback if I am not mistaken. I am located in Canada if that provides any information on whether I can or cannot do the Swap...well consider it a more of a over time conversation into a CTR just because I would like the learning experience. I don't think these have a DOHC vtec engines ( B series ) but will likely come with a D series engine.

If all the info (EK4 to a EK9)I have given shouts "YOU CAN'T THIS KIND OF CONVERSATION" I wouldn't if anyone tells me. but if I can it's all the better.

ty rvm or the insight fully link, and I have another question, about the wheels I believe I notice that the CTR come with 5 bolts to their rims, while the civic hatchbacks that I have looked at all come with only 4 bolts to connect to the rim. would I have to convert these as well? and how would I go about doing this?

BDN said:
Ty for all those insightful comments

Well I did some reading I, found out the model I am most likely to get, a CX or DX (EK4)cause those are the only one that I can get that come in a hatchback if I am not mistaken. I am located in Canada if that provides any information on whether I can or cannot do the Swap...well consider it a more of a over time conversation into a CTR just because I would like the learning experience. I don't think these have a DOHC vtec engines ( B series ) but will likely come with a D series engine.

If all the info (EK4 to a EK9)I have given shouts "YOU CAN'T THIS KIND OF CONVERSATION" I wouldn't if anyone tells me. but if I can it's all the better.

ty rvm or the insight fully link, and I have another question, about the wheels I believe I notice that the CTR come with 5 bolts to their rims, while the civic hatchbacks that I have looked at all come with only 4 bolts to connect to the rim. would I have to convert these as well? and how would I go about doing this?

You will need a lot of money, if you live in canada i think you can get ek9 parts from usa without any problems.

yes the CTR has a 5 lugs + bigger brakes, you can buy the 5 lug conversion kit in the USA for like 1000 $ + . The wheel pattern in the CTR is 5 x 114.3, the ek4 civic has a 4 x 100 wheel pattern. This means you will have to buy another wheels. Let us know what other information you need :nice:

Hmm....

I was wondering, would the cost of converting an ek4 into an actual CTR be that much greater then just buying one?

If the cost is just about or the same as importing one what's the point of doing what I want to do? :( I thought that I would be saving me a lot to make an CTR but looking at everything I need it's gonna cost me about 4k ish for the body another 4k for the engine another 2k for the brakes and suspension conversion so that rolls to about $10000+ CN to get make this car not including the little things (cluster, interior, ect), but then again the experience would be nice... what are your guys thoughts?

BDN said:
Hmm....

I was wondering, would the cost of converting an ek4 into an actual CTR be that much greater then just buying one?

If the cost is just about or the same as importing one what's the point of doing what I want to do? :( I thought that I would be saving me a lot to make an CTR but looking at everything I need it's gonna cost me about 4k ish for the body another 4k for the engine another 2k for the brakes and suspension conversion so that rolls to about $10000+ CN to get make this car not including the little things (cluster, interior, ect), but then again the experience would be nice... what are your guys thoughts?

I think you will save some money if you buy a ek9 in japan, japanese cars can be register in canada?

SpoonCTR said:
I think you will save some money if you buy a ek9 in japan, japanese cars can be register in canada?

agreed. also if its a 96-00 with a d engine its an ej6, thats what i have, i converted most of it to a ctr and have spent about $15,000 over the past 4 years, i know i could have bought an ek9 for that price. good luck either way.

With 9,000 - to 13,000 $ you can a buy an ek9 in good shape in japan, the only difference will be mileage, the less the more expensive, good luck.

I have considered importing...

but if I get an EK9 from the US it's about $15000+ CN which is not as cheap as compared to what I had planned to do

as for importing from Japan...

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/impxus_e.htm

Is the problem arises when I import cars from japan RHD... I won't be able to drive it, I think. The laws states that I can't register a car from other then US if it's not 15 years or older. Yes it will be MUCH cheaper but what the point if can't drive the car untils it's 15 years old... (eg. importing an EK9 99/00 that means I can get it registered in 2014/2015 which is kind of not what I want).

that the dilemma, so what do you guys think... yeah canada is stinks:mad: ONLY IF I LIVED EUROPE...

Hmm, well i think you will have to convert one, but it'll be expensive! :(

Well... that's the only choice I am left with...:angry2:

:thanks:

you guys have been a great help and I guess if anything comes up when I do this, you guys will be the first I come to for further questions.

CTR here I come :D

blinx9900 said:
agreed. also if its a 96-00 with a d engine its an ej6,

very true totally different from an ek4 let alone an ek9. the japanese equivalent of our dx/cx is the ek3. d15b or d13b engine i believe. now correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the ek9 bare chasis actually reinforced? I don't mean thicker sway bars and better suspension, but more so the structual integrity of the chasis itself.

ekguru85 said:
now correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the ek9 bare chasis actually reinforced? I don't mean thicker sway bars and better suspension, but more so the structual integrity of the chasis itself.

the only thing i know of is a few added braces, like under the rear subframe, it was my understanding that any chasis reinforcements added were all bolt ons.

BDN said:
so what do you guys think... yeah canada is stinks:mad: ONLY IF I LIVED EUROPE...

Well, don't say it twice. Imagine living in Bosnia! You have to watch all those good things on the ebay and not beeing able to get them. Than the standard of the living!!! 4000$ in USA or Canada is about 1 month of working, here is like 8 months of working.

If you think (for a longer time) that you will never sell your honda, that you will enjoy driving it , that you will continue working on it, than the swap is worth or it. Should be the easier swap then lot's of others. I did not have to change rims and hubs to five bolts!

And you can alway visit my friend honda phisique who can explane you everything what you need but in french :angry2: . I have problem with franch, and could not understand everything, but you might be able.

Here is the link with al about Swap Serie B dans les EG (Civic 92-95) par @Garrett

http://forum.clubcivicquebec.com/viewtopic.php?t=38942

it is a very deam extra fantastic link in quebec!

enjoy

the only thing i know of is a few added braces, like under the rear subframe, it was my understanding that any chasis reinforcements added were all bolt ons.

AFAIK parts of the chassis were seam welded to improve chassis rigidity so not just bolt ons.

Back