Oily Carbon Deposit on IM

JDM 101

***LHD EK9***
I just cleaned my car's TB & IACV. While cleaning, i noticed that there is an oily carbon deposit build up inside the IM. What do you think may have cause it?

IMG_6796.jpg

IMG_6797.jpg

IMG_6798.jpg

it is from the PCV valve. It's an open port on the front of the intake manifold that draws these oily vapors from the crankcase back into recirculation due to emissions.

This is good for reducing emissions, but bad for performance as oily vapors reduce octane which can potentially cause knocking.

In performance/tuned applications, this port is typically plugged and the PCV is removed and the crankcase is made to vent to the atmosphere

bad for performance as oily vapors reduce octane which can potentially cause knocking.:nerv:

In performance/tuned applications, this port is typically plugged and the PCV is removed and the crankcase is made to vent to the atmosphere.

can this be done to stock engine RA?

(jdm101, sorry kung nag ask ko curious lang)

Mine was doing this also, new PCV valve and simply fitted a oil catch tank inline with the PCV and inlet manifold. Problem solved! Cars is a lot cleaner and crisper now. Easy fix!

This means that i have to clean my IM & plug the PCV port. Since my EK is not daily driven, this wont harm the environment. I think. :p

@RA ... Any tip on how you did it?

when i put my finger inside my open TB and
the inside of IM it went out like this !:((

the best way is to remove the manifold and clean it (im planing this :secret:)
and after that you must install an oil catch tank !
oil vapors will stay away from your IM !

this post is from Racingangel
http://www.ek9.org/forum/36258-post57.html

thanks for the link abunai...i just hoped that RA added some pics with it...TBH i got little knowledge of this specially with the abbreviate's like the PCV for instance....

As RA stated, you have a bad PCV valve, eliminate it and run a crank case ventilation setup, especially if you track your car.

So, if i use an oil catch can for it, do i need to change the check valve or i wont need the check valve at all?

there are a few ways, what i have done is eliminate the valve, removed and plgged the hole foe the black box, run 2 lines from the back of the block to a vented can, and added a 3rd lime underneath that tee's into one of the output lines to serve as a drain back.

what u want is to vent the prusse but oil comes up with the fumes, the fumes exit the can via the filter on top and the 3rd port returns the excess oil back into the engine.

Hold on, i'm gonna get you some pics in few hours, pm me if i forget.

okay here we go:

Here you can see the can with the two inlets on the top with the 3rd hose at the bottom which is the drain back:

There are two holes in the rear of the block that you can add ports to, here is a pic of one, the other is about 6" away from it these are the hoses that go to the top of the can:
CIMG4589.jpg

This is where the 3rd hose under the can tee's back into one of the lines to serve as a drain back, don't mind the oily mess, i need new hoses as the ones i used were the wrong size:
CIMG4594.jpg

Just another angle, top view, hope this all makes sense:
CIMG4591.jpg

nice blinx9900!
same like edwins set up !
your oil tank is baffled ?
why it must be baffled ?

Back