can a b16b engine be put into an 97sir2"jap" easily enough?

jamiemph

i have a b16b type r engine that i want to put into my 97sir2 and i just wanna no from ye honda nuts can it be done easily enough for example are my engine mounts the same will the type r ecu go into my own loom ect ect..the engine is out of a 98 tyre r by the way,any help is great lads thanks

yea easy enough mate. Youll just need an OBD1-OBD2B conversion harness i think? and maybe the engine loom? someone will clear that up

Although i would say that is a totaly pointless swap! your hardly gaining anything. A B18c would have been more power for buck but your choice ovbviously mate :)

Last edited:
You can re use your own b16a loom if needs be but best way to do it is use the b16b loom. Reuse all your own mounts. I have to agree with JDMarron its pretty pointless going from b16a to b16b unless your b16a isnt healthy.

You can re use your own b16a loom if needs be but best way to do it is use the b16b loom. Reuse all your own mounts. I have to agree with JDMarron its pretty pointless going from b16a to b16b unless your b16a isnt healthy.

the b16a isnt healthy and i got the b16b very cheaply so im going to go ahead with it id say..i have a b16b ecu with the engine so i take it that ecu will just plug into my b16a loom yes?or do i need a harness?what i didnt mention was its a rallycar aswell lads so the b16b would be the better for taking punishment out of the 2 in the longrun with slightly more power aswell.so my b16a mounts will do me yes?

the b16a isnt healthy and i got the b16b very cheaply so im going to go ahead with it id say..i have a b16b ecu with the engine so i take it that ecu will just plug into my b16a loom yes?or do i need a harness?what i didnt mention was its a rallycar aswell lads so the b16b would be the better for taking punishment out of the 2 in the longrun with slightly more power aswell.so my b16a mounts will do me yes?

Do you know was the ek9 the b16b came from a facelift or prefacelift? If it was prefacelift(obd2a) it will plug straight into your sir loom but if facelift(obd2b) you will need a conversion harness to plug it in.

you wont need a conversion harness unless the ecu is from facelift type r which came out in sep 98.if the engine and ecu are from same car check the date on the cylinder head on the engine and then you will know if your obd2a loom is compatible with the ek9 ecu you have.

Do you know was the ek9 the b16b came from a facelift or prefacelift? If it was prefacelift(obd2a) it will plug straight into your sir loom but if facelift(obd2b) you will need a conversion harness to plug it in.
im not too sure all i no is it came out of a 98 civic

you wont need a conversion harness unless the ecu is from facelift type r which came out in sep 98.if the engine and ecu are from same car check the date on the cylinder head on the engine and then you will know if your obd2a loom is compatible with the ek9 ecu you have.

great thanks for the advice

oh right sorry now for my ignorence so i have a 97sir2 ok so does that mean the ecu i have from the 98b16b will fit my sir?

Your sir will be obd2a wiring and ecu so provoided the b16b ecu came from a prefacelift it will fit. If you have the ecu you can try plugging it in to the car's loom or take a pic of the plug end of the ecu and post it up on here and I can tell you by looking at it...

Your sir will be obd2a wiring and ecu so provoided the b16b ecu came from a prefacelift it will fit. If you have the ecu you can try plugging it in to the car's loom or take a pic of the plug end of the ecu and post it up on here and I can tell you by looking at it...

cheers

Back