getting most from my ek9 in N/A?!non turbo now

absolutlysideways

spoon ek9
right lads the plan to turbo my ek9 has gone out the window(t3 turbo kit is provisionally sold:angry:) ive spoke to tuners over here and i dont think their confident enough to carry out the proper mapping,2 out of 4 have blown up turbo tegs before:nerv:

so im gonna go all out n/a:nice:

just need some opinions from you guys as im more familiar with turbo tuning!i dunno which cams to buy etc etc

my plan is to port and polish and stroke to 1800cc,bigger throttle body,add more aggressive cams,valvesprings to suit,cam gears ->have i missed anything?

i already have
intake - j's racing intake with billion cold air feed
header - 5zigen pro-racer
exhaust - 5zigen decat,and cat back pro racer system
ecu - apexi power fc and commander replacing my spoon
suspension - tein type flex,cusco f+r struts,cusco tie bar,j's c pillar bar
tyres - goodyear eagle f1
upgrated final drive and clutch and fly

am i missing anything and what power should i be looking at when stroked?waht parts would you install?

thanks

right lads the plan to turbo my ek9 has gone out the window(t3 turbo kit is provisionally sold:angry:) ive spoke to tuners over here and i dont think their confident enough to carry out the proper mapping,2 out of 4 have blown up turbo tegs before:nerv:

just need some opinions from you guys as im more familiar with turbo tuning!i dunno which cams to buy etc etc

my plan is to port and polish and stroke to 1800cc,bigger throttle body,add more aggressive cams,valvesprings to suit,cam gears ->have i missed anything?

i already have

am i missing anything and what power should i be looking at when stroked?waht parts would you install?

thanks
Keep in mind that the cost will be much higher to get N/A power than from force induction and the gains will be much less.....:(
However, the key of your mods will be the stroker kit which will make the difference :D
Also add an aftermarket head gasket into your list to help increase compression and preferably a 4.78 FD if your setup will be for street use.
I believe you can reach 230 bhp with proper tuning! :nice:
Of course, as 1.8 L you can reach insane numbers( 260 bhp+) if you are willing to pay some tenths of K's..............:shocked:

if you drop your compression to 9.5:1 or 9.0 you can just use a fuel pump and a boost dependant fuel regulator, you wont even need tunning, its not the best way, but it would still be cheaper and faster than na.

Blinx I take it your talking about putting A turbo on the engine? When you say lower the compression is it to keep the boost at A low level how you achieve this? I see people having to change there ecu when only running 4-6psi as it wouldnt idle or throttle correctly on the standard setup

Blinx I take it your talking about putting A turbo on the engine? When you say lower the compression is it to keep the boost at A low level how you achieve this? I see people having to change there ecu when only running 4-6psi as it wouldnt idle or throttle correctly on the standard setup

turbo's dont affect idle. lowering compression is done by changing pistons or using a thicker headgasket.

turbo's dont affect idle. lowering compression is done by changing pistons or using a thicker headgasket.

So if A person were to change the pistons and slap on A turbo kit with oil lines and hard piping etc. the car would run fine on standard ecu?

So if A person were to change the pistons and slap on A turbo kit with oil lines and hard piping etc. the car would run fine on standard ecu?
yes and no, but pm me for more info, i dont wanna thread jack.

i already have

thanks
\

geez, your current setup sounds similar to mine...

Stroking and adding agresssive cams means you pretty much changing almost every single part of your engine. Just this is going to cost a bomb... I was going to go down that way but found out way too much was involved and everything depends on your mechanic. After watching Type R legend on youtube, seeing how much precision and passion was taken to make the B18C, I'm very very hesitated to let my mechanic to pull it apart. It'll be one quick monster but easier to start with a B18C. oh wells... if you have the mechanic and cash, do it... :D

what power is yours running jugbugz?

i havent put power fc in yet,does it come with pre tuned map because i dont really wanna map it until cams etc are done....

if so what does vtec kick at on pfc map?

thanks

I don't think I got more than 192bhp with my setup. Because I have stock cams. I do have 4.785 FD and lighter flywheel. So that might release 2hps to the wheels.

B16Bs air efficiency is from 6000rpm, thats why vtec is there. i set it to 5800rpm to get it starting earlier, 9100rpm is my redline settings. I will remap when I get my Toda A, Toda valve springs, toda cam gears and SPOON head gasket fitted.

Later on, I will Toda C with the rest of the accessories needed. Stroking is now only an option when I need a rebuild, as by then it's no choice... :/

there's an integra on the teg forum runniing 200WHP n/a, sounds like a fair beast and its spec is as follows, gives you a decent idea what needs done to have RELIABLE power, he had the work carried out 10k miles ago and still going strong :nice:

Engine
B18C6
EK9 81.25mm pistons
spoon head gasket
Arp head and rod bolt kits
acl race bearings
w.k.d remote oil filter kit
silkolene 5/40w synthetic oil
mugen cai
walbro 255lph fuel pump
spoon 4-1 manifold
w.k.d de-cat
spoon b-pipe
spoon street style rear silencer
rc 310cc injectors
spoon spec throttle body
skunk 2 stage 2 pro series cams
skuink 2 cam gears
skunk 2 valves,valve springs and retainers
w.k.d sump baffle
direct ignition system (coil pack)
cusco oil catch tank
w.k.d ported head
block height reduced

management
DTA exp48
mapped at Henry Roy Developments

transmission
exedy racing stage 3 clutch
M factory 4.9 final drive
MTF2 transmission oil
Short shift

cooling
w.k.d oil cooler
air con removed

people always over look this alot, but one of the best gains will be, to put it on ITB's, and run a hondata ECU. My mates running a b20 v-tec on throttle bodies, and it was rolling roaded at 250bhp. It a expensive mod to do, but needed to get the most out of a N/A engine.

unless you have A LOT of other mods, i dont think itb's will give you that much power...

ITB will give you a fair bit of power gain, was nearly 40bhp on my mates b20. Im a big fan of them, and sound gorgeous. But seriosly to get the most out of a N/A engine, ITB's are needed. A throttle body for each cylinder, is way better than a 66mm body for all 4. Just common sense.

But seriosly to get the most out of a N/A engine, ITB's are needed. A throttle body for each cylinder, is way better than a 66mm body for all 4. Just common sense.

im not so sure about all that... endyn just built an NA 2.0 with 318bhp with a single 70mm throttle body and a custom plenum. oh and by the way that 318bhp was on 91 octane gas :naughty: im sure in the last 1000rpm itb's may have made a few extra hp but it would have sacrificed a lot of midrange imo. ive seen a few people remove there ITB setup in favor of a custom made single throttlebody intake manifold and gained power and loads of tq.

im not so sure about all that... endyn just built an NA 2.0 with 318bhp with a single 70mm throttle body and a custom plenum. oh and by the way that 318bhp was on 91 octane gas :naughty: im sure in the last 1000rpm itb's may have made a few extra hp but it would have sacrificed a lot of midrange imo. ive seen a few people remove there ITB setup in favor of a custom made single throttlebody intake manifold and gained power and loads of tq.
Just imagine how 100 octane would have raise the performance! :nerv:

i see your point of view blinx and respect it. From my experience with working with throttle bodies and having some one who is brilliant at setting them up, there a great mod. But each to there own i supose, i have and know alot of people who have also used them, and wouldnt swap them for anything if your staying n/a. The problem i always feel is everyone is so worried about how much power there car is putting out, but at the end of the day you got to lay it down on the road. As long as you got a car that you happy with, that all that matters.

ps. it must suck only getting 91 in the states to out 99 :)

Just imagine how 100 octane would have raise the performance! :nerv:

or 116!! :nerv: thats what our race car will run :clap:

As long as you got a car that you happy with, that all that matters.

ps. it must suck only getting 91 in the states to out 99 :)

very very very true :nice: having 91 in the states is tragic the worse part is its only in california, all other states get 93 :angry::angry::angry: i'd be able to squeeze out another 20whp with 93 and atleast 60whp with 99 :angry2:

Back