What have we done wrong! Oil everywhere!

ijwhiteman

Super Moderator
Donator
Hi

Had the head off my B18C for 4 new valves and stem seals. No damage was done to the engine it didn't blow up we where just investigating a top end rattle and while it was of changed the seals as it was burning oil.

Anyway we just finished putting it back together today turned it over and its pissing oil out every where between the head and the block. :angry:

And i mean throwing it out.....

Its mainly coming out round the back below the inlet manifold directly below the dizzy near the corner of the engine!

We're baffled.

Either the head gasket is wrong?

Put on the wrong way? highly unlikely...

Missing something? Definitely not the two dowels...

Or i don't f'in know! Either way its probably gona be a strip down....... AGAIN :angry:

Gutted mate, sadly don't know enough about engine internals to offer any advice but I hope you get it sorted dude.

did you follow the torque down procedure properly,its in 3 stages.are you positive its between the head and the block?its not the seal on the end of the dizzy?possible the head gasket was damaged when putting head on,have seen it happen,not lined up just perfectly and winding in the head bolts damaged the gasket and it pissed...

u reuse the head gasket? did u make sure that small dowel (oil control) was put back in? its #10 on the pic.

Attachments

• $13S020_E1401.gif
    $13S020_E1401.gif
    30.2 KB · Views: 316
Gutted mate, sadly don't know enough about engine internals to offer any advice but I hope you get it sorted dude.

Thanks mate.

did you follow the torque down procedure properly,its in 3 stages.are you positive its between the head and the block?its not the seal on the end of the dizzy?possible the head gasket was damaged when putting head on,have seen it happen,not lined up just perfectly and winding in the head bolts damaged the gasket and it pissed...

Followed the honda manual to the letter! Its definitly head to block location.

So annoyed. Haven't spoken for ages i'm really cheesed off :angry:

All that work and now we got to do it all again.... :angry2:

u reuse the head gasket? did u make sure that small dowel (oil control) was put back in? its #10 on the pic.

Brand new gasket, we can't be sure about the dowel and seal, but the oil doesn't appear to be coming out there.

Oh No!!! :angry:

Im not too handy with engine internals either, but post up on itr-dc2.com, im sure they can answer it :nice:

Hope it all sorts out mate ;)

I know it's a pain but your going to have to strip the engine down to find out the problem. Good luck with it.

list what youve done in minimal detail. whatve you changed, whatve you dismantled.

has the head been skimmed?

was the engine still hot when the head was removed?

sounds daft but is the oil filter/laminar on tight?

is the oil defo coming from between the head and the block?

were the two locating dowels removed/reinstalled?

is the serial num of the gasket near where the vtec solenoid is with numbers facing up?

step by step, dont stress, dissassemble, figure out where you made the mistake and correct it then carefully re-assemble

have the head machined flat and get a new head gasket, torque it all properly and youll be all set.

list what youve done in minimal detail. whatve you changed, whatve you dismantled.

has the head been skimmed?

was the engine still hot when the head was removed?

sounds daft but is the oil filter/laminar on tight?

is the oil defo coming from between the head and the block?

were the two locating dowels removed/reinstalled?

is the serial num of the gasket near where the vtec solenoid is with numbers facing up?

step by step, dont stress, dissassemble, figure out where you made the mistake and correct it then carefully re-assemble

Engine was cold when head was removed,

Inlet manifold off,

Valve clearances checked,

Cams removed,

Head bolts removed,

Head taken away,

New valve stem seals fitted, 4 new ex valves fitted, all valves lapped in,

New head gasket fitted,

Head reinstalled, head was checked to ensure flatness,

Head bolts done up in procedure of honda manual issued from honda,

Inlet manifold installed,

Cams fitted,

Cam timing set,

Valve clearances set,

Cam cover fitted,

Dizzy fitted,

Turned over not fired up,

Oil is definitely between head and cylinder block.

We have not fitted new oil filter and oil yet we just turned it over with old oil in. approx 1000 miles old.

Locating dowel where not removed they stayed in the cylinder block.

Can't be sure that the gasket serial number was in the right place. But all oil and coolant ports lined up and the dowels fitted nicely in the head gasket.

:((

Sounds like a duff H.G or maybe the head isnt down tight enough perhaps...(torque wrench inaccurate?)

Unlucky dude...what fun cars are at times eh?:angry:

Are you sure oil even flows threw the dowels ? Stupid me forgot to put them in when i was putting mine back together. Ive been driving around for about 2 weeks now with no problem. I used arp head studs so they located the head to the block.

Your head is warped, it happens with aluminum heads. You need to get machined.

IJ, the serial of the OEM honda gaskets on B-series sticks out underneath the spool good luck

Did you blow out the Head bolt holes? anything stuck down there , even a build up of oil wont let the head bolt sit fully down but the bolt will torque , can distort the head.

If you have a feeler gauge have a poke around between the head and block before you take it back off.. anyways id skim the head just as precaution!

:angry: Turns out head gasket was upside down....

What muppets we are!!! :angry:

Could be worse atleast you know the problem now and can get it back together. GL with it.

Back