Garage Project!

NIcad7

EG6
***Mods - If this is deemed to be in the wrong area of the forum please move it ;) ***

Well Ive finally taken the plunge and bought my own place after saving for a while.

There was only one prerequisite to buying a property and that was that it had to have a decent sized garage/workshop - and man did I get what I asked for, it's a 12'x24' tandem, although it looks to me to be a little less but still I'm not complaining. There's plenty of room to fit the car in with a good 2' either side and still the other half of the garage to the rear for workshop space :)

So moved in last week, I won't bother boring you all with the house but I will show you the garage and my future plans to turn it into a race car building haven!

The previous owner of the house used the garage for wood working and it was generally in a right mess. Saw dust everywhere, a massive spider/cobweb infestation, and rickety DIY shelving/racks taking up all the walls. You can just see it in the background;

So first things first - lets gut this place out! I wish I had taken a before picture but here is the end result of removing all the crappy shelving, sweeping, hooving and evicting a lot of spiders - new management now lads, you've got to go! It really opened the area right up;

I then started moving my mass of tools and bits in. They have never had a real home before. Always just piled up in the corner of my old room at work!

Followed by my little Eg, in it's new home at last :)

This literally took me all day but it was a good day of home ownership so I treated myself to a few brewskies :D

Unfortunately I've had to come back to work, got to get the money in somehow! But I have taken next week off with a friend. We are going to gut the garage out again and paint the interior and seal the floor. So watch this space for updates next week - can't wait!

Last edited:
Oh also as I side project I'm going to be making a 45 Gallon Drum BBQ for the house warming party in a few weeks, so I'll keep track of that on here.

I managed to acquire a drum from work which so far I have cut out the opening that I wanted and cleaned it all out. Just waiting for all the other metal and bits to arrive so hopefully I can complete this next week and get my burn on :))

Looks great :)

I've been kitting out my new workshop - for the floor, the resin paint from Screwfix is brilliant!

Ive ordered a load of paint off ebay in bulk 20L drums. Cost nearly £200 for the lot but I do have a large area to cover, hopefully this lot should cover it!

We'll see next week ;)

That MASSIVE hydraulic jack though!!;) nice spacious garage man wish mine was wide like this

Congrats on the big purchase of a house,
No matter how big your garage is you will always need a bigger one!

Looks well :nice: it's hard to beat your own place with a good garage but not always easy to get..

Thanks Chaps :)

Haha that jack has done me proud for years. It is a beast though. Hated lumping it around to use it. Now I can just roll it around my garage :D

It's from my drifting days and having stupidly low cars, so its got a real low entry and long reach and lifts nice and high.

Although I have noticed it has just started seeping a tiny bit of fluid so need to get that checked out!

Good stuff, nicely sized garage that should look tidy painted up.

Didn't get much done at the weekend as had the parents over to check out the new gaff ;)

We decided to get the BBQ done before pulling apart the garage. So we managed to get the basic layout of the frame done Sunday afternoon;

My mate and I cracked on good today and got plenty done! With the frame finalised we started on the interior of the drum;

These are the rails that the charcoal grill will sit on. You can see if also cut out a section at the bottom. A trap door will be fitted here so charcoals and ash can simply be swept out into a bucket;

Then onto the main grill rails;

I'm still waiting for the grill mesh for arrive so we got the trays made up for now then I can just cut the grill to shape and weld it in. All the grills are removable;

And finally for today came a part Ive been really looking forward to, welding on the hinges and the lid! :dance:

So that's it for now, hopefully the mesh will come tomorrow and this will be finished ready for a good cook off tomorrow! :D

Oh and also 'acquired' some garden tables last night, haha I'm a bit of a pikey ;)

Got this finished up on Tuesday! The heat is insane, going to have to learn to tame this beast!

So got the mesh in finally;

Then got the chimney done;

and started to work on the collapsible side table;

And pretty much all done!

So it would have been rude not to get a cook on straight away! I completely underestimated this thing though, the heat it produces is just mental. So hot I couldn't even get my hands close enough to turn the meat!

Then the temperature gauge turned up yesterday so I got that in and also tittivated a few things like strengthening a few areas and a lip around the lid to try and help trap the smoke, but with a pretty battered barrel I don't think it will work so well.

And finally looking pretty with the cable drum :)

So there you have it, really happy with how it turned out. Now let's crack on with the garage! :D

Back