Race Base EK9 Take 2, From past to present

Dannyboy205

Donator
Donator
Hey well after my first build up was pretty popular and eventful. I thought id condense it, redo it, and get ready for hopefully a very eventful 2014.

To start with the car is a 1999 facelift Racebase ek9, no abs/airbags or red interior. Also has light weight crash bars, a double din grey dashboard. Was imported in 2008 by private imports and it had Aircon fitted by honda as an extra, which has since been removed.

So the day i got the car from Duncan

So theres me happy as larry, i have an ek9! and a pretty mental one at that. The spec when i got it included..

Seeker N1 coilovers
Cusco LSD
Titanium Exhaust system

And 14 days later, no oil pressure, knock knock knock. I was gutted, 11 days before christmas and already £6000 down my ek9 had died. Im doing a diploma in mechanics and dont work 5 days a week so as you can imagine it was heartbreaking.

But the car had to live on, after a few phone calls to duncan he sourced a bottom end and put sum ££ towards the repairs.

On closer inspection this is some of the damage, had spun a conrod bearing and the oil pump was worn outside of honda tolerence.

So that was that, new bottom end needed. Started buying parts, now this might not be 100% in order but ill do my best.

Gates racing cambelt, water pump and tensioner

Bottom end arrived

Stripped and cleaned

New fixed back seat, and got a custom baseplate made to MSA specs

Full length braided clutch line

Waxolyed behind skirts and cleaned

Repainted lower slam panel

Old mechanical guages etc and jap wiring pulled out

Starting to collect parts

Cheeky sticker

Toda fly wheel

Picked these up from a friend, brand new. Sat on his project car on the drive for a few months hence the surface rust

Stripped and refurbed clutch slave cylinder

painted suspension arms

Brake fluid and brakes refurbed

New oem clutch release bearing

M12 to 1/8npt adaptor for sump temperature take off

Last edited:
Oil pressure adaptor t piece

New trailing arm bushings where fitted and the rear traling arms painted

using this useful press for trailing arms

While there was no running gear gave the car a good clean and jet washed the old underseal off

then i went at it with some under seal

Started refitting all the running gear

Custom titanium backbox, sounds mad and weighs 1.7kg, welds are a work of art

Resprayed the engine bay, only a rattle can job but came out pretty well

brand new drive shafts

New stepper motor guages, with peak hold, warning settings

Droplinks and balljoints

Blackworks rad

and hoses

Boom engine bay in and running!

Last edited:
New steering wheel

back on the road

representing

So i did what any ek9 owner should do...

So a few months later its now 2014. Front tyres are nakered so i through on a set of these

to keep my going.

Plans over the next few months are

Change the engine bay theme, rocker cover etc
Change all the fluids, thermostat and fan switch as its currently running aftermarket setup
Strip brakes and service,
and a few body work bits

Parts to be purchased go as far as
Takata drivers harness
Rota fighter 10
Recaro passenger seat

Oh and heres a short vid from when i got her running again

Last edited:
Some work has gone into this mate, well done!

Little update, replaced some of the rear plastics with nicer bits, and fitted an ek9 rear bench from Alex on here who kindly donated it and sum other bits in exchange for sum beer tokens!

Also picked these wheels up, freshly refurbed Enkei RP02, there spotlesss!

Goner get outside and wash the car today, fluid check etc

Those Enkei's are going to look so nice on there mate.
Good work, Dunx

awesome work so far, See what you think of the T1R's I personally didnt like them at all. Very soft side walls.

Ye i hate the t1rs, major downgrade to my RSRs and AD08, just using them as a cheap run around tyre. Goner order a new set of ad08r or rsr for the enkeis.

You know i paid £180 for all 4 alloys, bargain i think!

Also have a JDM sized front plate on its way. And a big service end of this month

Oil + filter
Gbox oil
Air filter
Fuel filter
Spark plugs
Rotor arm
Dizzy cap
Rocker cover gasket
Sump gasket
And hopefully a new vented rocker cover.

Need to get sum bits ordered, just spent all day fixing a 911 and the dreaded electronic mechanical rear wing.

Few little bits arrived. Got 2 ally breather ports to be welded to another rocker cover.

IMAG0859_zps632d9eda.jpg

Also fitted a import size front plate which looks alot better. Also started stripping each brake down to inspect/ clean and regrease. Then when i service her ill change the brake fluid again etc. Will be doing my own geo soon and get the car all setup for a auto cross style track day in may.

Update time!! have loads of bits on order after my trip to Qatar, Booked a week of work as well! so will be loads of pics and sum big Honda meets at my house next week haha.

The boot floor was a bit rusty as well as under sum of the carpet, caused by the common leaks. I wanted to stop this before i had to get a grinder out and put fresh metal in.

So i stripped the interior

I then went over the whole inside with a wire brush and a drill, to clear all of the rusty metal back to solid fresh metal etc, I then used krust rust converter on any of the joints where seam sealer had been holding in moisture. then i zinc primered the complete inside of the car, with a layer on normal primer on top.

I then used black anti rust paint along all of the seams/ joints within the inside of the car.

Then i gave the boot, spare wheel area a lick of championship white and some clear coat. Its not an amazing job but the interior is going back in so it wont be seen. But i know its there so i wanted to stop anything bad before it started

just purchased this from DV8

5zigen pro racer zz

My full titanium backbox and oem b pipe will be up for sale soon.

Great updates only thing I'd do is change the silly uk plate on the front looks so out of place apart from that top work

Back