Parry's ek9, restore, fresh paint, k swap. i am back with the same shell!!

Parry9

K20a itb'd ek9
I've copied my thread for members rides thought it would be better here :) purchased on the 10-4-13

Hi guys. Finally I have the ek9 :D. Purchased the 9 last Friday. 500 mile round trip. All I can say is I am very very happy :).

Here is a few snaps the day I collected the 9.
ek94.jpg

ek93.jpg

ek95.jpg

ek92.jpg

Here is the info.
70000 miles
Type Rx
W reg, one of the last lots made if I am right?
Spoon n1 cat back
100 cell sports cat.
Tegiwa whales pen*s induction
Tegiwa dress up engine bay set.

So on the Saturday the first thing i did was undersealed the arches.
Few pictures.
ek96.jpg

ek97.jpg

ek98.jpg

ek99.jpg

ek910.jpg

ek911.jpg

Will be doing behind front and rear bumpers this weekend.
i used hammerite paint, thought it would looker a lot cleaner them underseal.

Also clean engine bay up. Will be carrying on with this ready for japfest. Will remove most things to make sure I get as much dirt as I can out.

Also friend of mine was working on his 96 spec jdm dc2 ( lost the picstures) :(

picturs of engine bay will be uploaded this weekend :)

On the Sunday I booked it in at a friends detailing company for a full detail.
The car was off the road for about 3 years. You could tell by the paint work. Lots of black marks and lots lots of swirls.
6 hours later, Very pleased with how the 9 came out, he did a awesome job! Paint work now swirl free and clean once again. :).
Also ordered some new civic type r badges.
ek915.jpg

ek917.jpg

ek918.jpg

parked up for the night on the drive way,
ek919.jpg

few pictures with my mates 96 spec DC2. (before detail)
ek920.jpg

ek916.jpg

ek921.jpg

night time pictures,
ek912.jpg

ek913.jpg

ek914.jpg

Thread will contuine..

Last edited:
Hi guys.

A update is way over due, a lot has happened in 4 months of me owning the ek9. I was planning on doing a K swap next year but few plans have changed well I will let the pictures do the talking :).

The week before japfest I was realy busy with work and didn't have enough time to get the wheels done, So I attempted them myself.
they match was really good to fair. cant grumble :)

also I was on track at japfest, very happy with the 9 was going really well, was running standard suspension then but really happy, cracking day on track :) few pictures

after japfest I purchased a Hondata s300, was ready for mapping but again work let me down :(

so on the Saturday and sunday I was fitting my new inlet (dc2 inlet b18c) also wire tucking the bay.
pictures

clean :)

cable tucking time

first wireing loom tucked

looks so much tidier and cleaner. really happy :)

donnington track day

pages continues....

next step was removing the power steering and air con. noticed the difference without pulleys. also fitting a non power steering rack.

all removed

next was some new rubber :D. loving the feeling of fresh tyres :)

next was restore headlights, really happy how well they came up.

Then on the sunday we went for a drive with s2ki owners, Friend of mine in the dc5 (dan) we where owning the evo triangle had a really good day :)

then got myself a AEM v2 and japspeed heat wrapped manifold, huge difference in power and response, was really happy.

next on the list was some innovative engine mounts, got myself the soild race red ones, all I can say is they where soild, hole dash was trying to jump out of the car! ha, again thou notice the difference. :) ( not a nice sound a 6 o'clock in the morning thou) ha

now to the BIG update. after a long think and choosing to move plans forward I made to big jump and decided to k swap the 9!!
Spec list so far
k20a engine with OEM dc5 engine wiring, new alternator, P/S pump, A/C pump, new head gasket, timing chain, spark plugs, one of the spark plug threads was damaged so tdi rebuilt the head. engine has covered 60000 kilometres before head rebuild.
hondata thermal gasket
new clutch k series OEM
ep3 gearbox with wave track diff (rebuilt)
new OEM clutch slave cylinder
TDI north custom centre section
hybrid racing k swap shifter box
" " uprated shifter cables
" " engine mounts
" " drive shafts
" " k swap harness
tegiwa k swap manifold
dc2 subframe
k tuned fuel rail
new oem 440 cc oem injectors
braided fuel lines + clutch line
walbro fuel pump
tegiwa k swap rad and hoses
All engine hose are samco
k swap throttle cable
AEM fuel regulator

mostly stripped down

few little goodies
k tuned k swap harness

dc5 clocks cant wait to fit them

still need a few parts but most of it is all there, one part I did miss out was inlet, When I got the engine the RRC was sold and there was a ep3 inlet fitted,
now the plan was the throttle body the b16b, so instead of buying a RRC or PRC inlet, I going to throttle body the k20 :D. I've had itbs on my previous cars, I love the sound and they look the nuts in the engine bay.

So guys that's a really quick overview of what's happening, more updates and pictures tomorrow. tomorrows job is smoothing the engine bay, weld up all the holes I don't need anymore then the 9 will be off the to the body shop for the bay to painted. :)

hope you enjoy. ( no pics of k swap parts yet, Not all of them are with me at the moment some are still on the way from USA. :(

Thanks again parry :)

Hi guys. More of a update now, cracking a lot more. After the last update the engine bay has now been painted and looking so clean :)

Had all the holes welded up for a smooth bay (you don't realise how many holes there are ha) I will now let the pictures do the talking :)
most of the holes where all welded up, lininished back and then smoothed over.

first bit day light the 9 has seen in a while..

in the paint room :)

prepping done

primer on

boom! :) fresh engine bay, really happy with the match :) just needs the K20 dropping in ;)

The engine mounts had a flick over is in gloss black, didn't like the polish finish

next update.. engine in and throttle bodies bolted one :)

Nice build:nice:What Itbs are you going with? I went with Jenvey's. Bonnet not closing so have to come up with a solution!
Have a new set of 2.9 DSS axles if interested.

null_zpsd40241a7.jpg

where's the money shot of the k20 on itb's. sweet build btw.

Hi Guys!!! been a while since the last update, lots to show and tell now, will be updating most night now :). engine is still being kept a secret thou ;)

I've now found a new home for 9, due to a lack of updates I had to move the 9 from the home garage due to building work :( sucks! so Ive got my self a unit now that me and a friend are sharing, he's got a K swapped ek4.

Here goes....

First update is bring the car to the new home....

Next I started to strip it down to a bare shell ready for the prepping for paint!

All rear seat mounts removed,

So, all sprit down to bare metal (this took a very long time) really happy with the condition under the paint, hardly any rust just a little service rust :-D

Next step was under sealing. so much easier with a air gun and 100X neater then painting it on with a brush, All the rear, rear arches and under the car was sealed.

Once all the oil wax was dried next step was primer. well will let the pictures do the talking for this.

Now ready for championship white :-D
So happy with how all this turned out so clean.

Now time for all the suspension gear and subframe

all painted

Subfamed stripped down and all painted up and steering rack

Few little goodies now :-D

OMP dash dodger cage

New brides :-D

test fit ;)

Dc2 1'' servo and master port

There is a few more goodies but now pictures yet..

Cheers guys more of update tomorrow :-D

Parry..

Getting up to date guys.

So I had a rest fit with the cage, more bars are being added just had to see what she looked like all caged. :D.

Next step was staring to run the break lines in. Very happy with the out come, will see in a couple of posts time the bulk head adaptors I got very happy with them.

Then the fuel tank came out. Full clean inside and out and luck of paint.

Now the one job I've not been looking forward to haha. The dash removal. I was shocked how well the it did come out the be fair. Seemed the chap who built mine decided to make sure every bolt was as tight as it needed to be. To tight ha.
Next step was removing some of the heating system and making my own custom dash. The car won't really see winter so not too fussed on the heating.
Made blanking covers to fill the Heater holes.
filler and sanding. Now ready to be flocked.

ow the one job I've not been looking forward to haha. The dash removal. I was shocked how well the it did come out the be fair. Seemed the chap who built mine decided to make sure every bolt was as tight as it needed to be. To tight ha.
Next step was removing some of the heating system and making my own custom dash. The car won't really see winter so not too fussed on the heating.
Made blanking covers to fill the Heater holes.
filler and sanding. Now ready to be flocked.

Also rewired fuse box under dash.

Next step was drilling the hole for the loom tuck. This was very scary. Fresh paint and a drill we've all done it and slipped but lucky enough I had a steady hand this time. Ha.

On to the bulkhead adaptors I mentioned before. They will also be used for rear breaks lines and the from break lines. Going the ought the inner arches on the front and boot floor on the rear.

Break line adaptors.

And fuel line adaptors.

This will help keep the bay tuck under control. Less going on, will also will tidy and fresh. :).

Plans and thinks to attack this week.

Replace all the bushes and get the subframe etc power coated.
Fuel lines and fittings, mount swirl pot and fuel filter.
Clip braided lines in.
Finish break lines.
Get cage back from meting welded and send to sprayers.
Then clean and tackle the engine, tuck loom and get the gearbox sorted. Very busy now.

Plus some carbon. ;).

Thanks again for reading guys. Comments welcome. :).

Next step was drilling the hole for the loom tuck. This was very scary. Fresh paint and a drill we've all done it and slipped but lucky enough I had a steady hand this time. Ha.

On to the bulkhead adaptors I mentioned before. They will also be used for rear breaks lines and the from break lines. Going the ought the inner arches on the front and boot floor on the rear.

Break line adaptors.

And fuel line adaptors.

This will help keep the bay tuck under control. Less going on, will also will tidy and fresh. :).

Plans and thinks to attack this week.

Replace all the bushes and get the subframe etc power coated.
Fuel lines and fittings, mount swirl pot and fuel filter.
Clip braided lines in.
Finish break lines.
Get cage back from meting welded and send to sprayers.
Then clean and tackle the engine, tuck loom and get the gearbox sorted. Very busy now.

Plus some carbon. ;).

Thanks again for reading guys. Comments welcome. :).

Hi guys. Probably the biggest update until the day comes when I start the car. Engine is finally here :D. So pleased now, the build can now crack on. :).

So the spec on the engine, Complete rebuild as follows. :D
Toda cams
Toda valve springs
Toda head gasket
Toda tensioner
Toda fly wheel
Honda OEM timing chain
Port and polished
Bore and hone
Arp head bolts
87.5mm cosworth pistons
Cosworth main bearings
Cosworth rods
Rod bolts
Fd2 Oil pump
Buddy club drop I'm sump baffle
Balance engine
Deck block
Skim head
Gasket set
Bottom end seals
Exhaust valve guides
New valves

PRIMER

Now a sneaky picture of the colour it's going to be ;).

Next step is stage 2 clutch, new starter motor, alternator, then the throttle bodies.

Also my skunk 2 LCA arrived, pictures fitted. Feels great now to start fitting bits back on. :). Very happy with these.

Cooper grease and all the bolts and nuts replaced for stainless steel bolts and nuts.

Will update more this week, engine to be painted. Also rocker cover and cage to be sent off to be painted. The gear box should he here Friday :D.

Thanks guys.

Back