*Frost White EK4* From the start.

ali-c

96' ek4
*Build thread back from the dead as of 2/5/13 (page3)*

After making a half-hearted attempt at a build thread months back, I thought it was time to sort it out and get one going. So here it goes;

After wanting a civic for a few years I eventually got round to looking for one last summer (2009), I knew that I wanted a standard one that hadn't been chaved up by some 'rude boi', sporting a huge 'fart cannon' out the back.

So eventually came across one I liked, and I was chuffed that I managed to find one in white as they didn't seem all that common. Plus it was nice to have something which could resemble a CW ek9.

Back in Aug 09 i got this, a 1996 ek4 in frost white, totally untouched, 100% factory with 2 careful lady owners, along with a heap or service history and receipts... and the original tape deck...

First thing to do was give it a blast as I suspected it hadn't seen much vtec in its lifetime.

Last edited:
This was back in sep 09 mate, will be updating everything from then till now shortley.....

First thing to do was a nice service, this was much needed the petrol filter was ruined. she drove alot better after this.

Next move was to fit on my wheels from me old car *cough* punto, as i didnt like the oem blades. However this did give the car a rather tall stance lol.
Wheels are Team Dynamics pro race 1.2 16x7.5j ET35 with 195/45/16 tyres.

Straight after this I went up Santa Pod for a blast and got a 15.3.

Something had to be done so I searched for 'lowering solutions', and ended up with a set of spanking new Miester R zeta coilovers :D cant recommend them enough, been on the car 9 months now and are brilliant.

The result

Did have to fiddle with set up for a while until I was happy, including raising it up a bit due bottoming out a bit. Overall huge improvement though.

I was looking at ek9 headlights after this but instead I sprayed the insides of mine, rover amethyst grey..which I think came out great!

The after this I purchased a 3.4kg fidanza flywheel and an exedy stage 1 organic clutch kit. Fitted them on along with some nice fresh gearbox oil.

Clutch feels so much more solid and accurate, and the engine revs more freely with the lighter flywheel, it make toe and heeling much easier as it take no time at all for the revs to climb when blipping th throttle.

Then I wanted to tackle the appearance of the car a bit, so I ordered a mugen style front lip, type r grill and had them all painted up along with sideskirts and all other trim.

Last edited:
After a quick wash, this is how she stood. (Jan 2010) 'Was waiting on bumper respray so hadnt yet fitted the grill or lip'.

And here's a few pics with my mates wide-arched focus rs, just shy now of 400bhp, tends to torque steer all over the road lol.

Grill mesh was soon to be painted black and fitted along with lip after front bumper is smoothed and sprayed.

I noticed my camber was quite negative after the lowering so I saw this as an excuse to get Buddyclub front adjusters, D2 rear, along with some Polyurethane inserts for the engine mounts as the originals were knackered.

This would give me valuable adjustment in the future if I change ride height, wheels or simply wanted a more track focused set-up.

For a laugh I just set them on Maximum until I got a a full alignment setup done. Given that it was fully stripped at the time, it truly handled like it was on rails.

Last edited:
Next was some servicing parts..

I ran out of brakes...

This was partly because one of the rear calipers developed a seizing problem. This was soon rectified with a new replacement Caliper...

I got round to painting up the grill mesh.

After the camber and toe was sorted out, I invested in a new set of Toyo T1R's, which were a huge improvement compared to the ditch-finders I had on there before.
A LOT more grip thank you!!

Last edited:
Nice and subtle so far, unlike the Focus, that thing on the rear is an abomination.

my first ever car was a focus so I always have a soft spot for them but that spoiler making it look horrendous

:thanks: for the comments

and yeh the wing is huuuge.

more updates still to come, as i have done more since then :nice:

Last edited:
Lovely! I've always liked that look on the Ek4 :nice:

The Focus, no comment :lol:

That is looking really nice :D

I hope one of the upcoming updates is you getting rid of that nasty kwik-fit exhaust. I used to have the same one on my ej9 and replaced it with a proper honda back box, much better.

That is looking really nice :D

I hope one of the upcoming updates is you getting rid of that nasty kwik-fit exhaust. I used to have the same one on my ej9 and replaced it with a proper honda back box, much better.

cheers, and yes! Im already on that. Just ordered my 4-2-1, heat wrap and decat today and have sourced an ek9 centre section which I will be picking up from JapPerformanceParts tomorrow. Then it's just a case of deciding on a back box, I'm thinking currently, ek9 oem or spoon street, possibly twinloop? but for sure the pea-shooter has to go.

Last edited:
Its been 8 months since the last update so I think I better get some pics up.

Right so to pick up where I left off, Awful back box needed to go.
So I Chucked my old 2" system which was rotten and purchased.
- 4/2/1 stainless manifold.
- 2.25" adjustable de-cat.
- EK9 OEM centre section (from jap performance parts, good cond. after a polish)
- EK9 Backbox (New from honda)
- Heatwrap from thermalvelocity.co.uk
:))

Last edited:
looks good mate, nice job with the wrapping i've heard it can be a pain in the arse :((

I was also running a cheap, open cone induction kit, which especially in the heat of summer was really bogging down with heat soak so I got myself
- Bmc Cda, carbonfibre enclosed filter.
- Cut down the existing hard piping.
- Got some rubber connectors and some 70mm ducting!!

Huge Difference in the hot weather, Heat soak completely gone, much more responsive and being and enclosed intake appears to have increase the mid range a bit.....which is nice.

Last edited:
Back