RoCo crx time attack car

webartie

Roco TA Civic
Donator
About time i threw something about this build. The civic we ran last year was about the best it was going to get without some serious work, so we decided to re shell it and start from scratch. The crx was picked for two reasons, the huge weight reduction and the front suspension set up was better than the civic. ill keep posting pictures as the project continues.

Have to say a huge thanks to Ronan in RoCo performance for all his help and expertise.

The donor car, i cant believe how rust free it is... not a bit... i was lucky
DSC00248.jpg

DSC00249.jpg

Arriving at roco
7823896937a11284830269l.jpg

Stripped out and sound deadining removed
7823896937a11284830134l.jpg

7823896937a11284830064l.jpg

up on the spinning thing!!!
7823896937a11284830322l.jpg

DSC00255.jpg

DSC00258.jpg

DSC00259.jpg

Cleaning down the underseal and seem welding the chasis.
My cousin Stu always helping!! some mechanic to work bt:)
DSC00256.jpg

DSC00257.jpg

i dont know how but i convinced ro to let me seem weld the car!!!! :happy)
DSC00260.jpg

DSC00261.jpg

DSC00262.jpg

DSC00263.jpg

DSC00264.jpg

DSC00265.jpg

Welding done..... primer on
DSC00267.jpg

DSC00269.jpg

DSC00270.jpg

ill post more as it comes along!!!

just finished the first coat on the bottom..
i hate sanding between coats!!!!

just a taste of the colour to come (rrfl:

DSC00292.jpg

DSC00293.jpg

DSC00294.jpg

DSC00296.jpg

DSC00297.jpg

panel.png

i needed to order part number 9.... fair play to honda naas... on the ball. only thing is it takes 4 weeks from japan!!!:wallbash)

the engine seem welding will have to wait. tonite ill mock up the pedal box form the eg so i can have better servo and hydro clutch!!!

the panel was a bit crumpled from a tap. i could fill it but that would add extra weight and i want this car mint!!!!

ill keep posting updates

Ok, i couldnt find anything on this so ill do it myself ha ha.
i wanted to use as much of the integra type r parts as possible.
i didnt like the conversions because they look s%$t so i decided to convert to hydro using the itr pedal box.

first i tried to fit the servo. it was two inches larger in diameter so it was going to be close. it does actually fit and all the holes line up.:sick)

DSC00301.jpg

DSC00299.jpg

DSC00300.jpg

i tried to fit the itr pedal box next. it does fit but due to the position of the accelerator pedal it hits the wheel arch. so it cant be used.:mad)
the integra one you can see only has two pedals and the fall more to the right.
DSC00303.jpg

i can however cut the cable clutch pedal off the crx pedal box. because the itr clutch is seperate on the itr one we can make a plate in the bulkhead and make it fit. there is space for it and the plate was mocked up. the itr servo and connectors bolt directly onto the crx brake pedal. :happy)

DSC00302.jpg

DSC00305.jpg

tomrow night ill complete it hopefully and then take it all out so i can finish seem welding.

The crx now has a hydro clutch, without all the messing of the adapter kits.
with the plate made i had to cut the clutch pedal from the origional crx pedal box as i am going to use the itr clutch unit which is seperate.
DSC00309.jpg

next i got the plate i made from the night before and cut a hole in the bulk head to match it.
DSC00315.jpg

tacked the plate in, checked pedal location and finished welding it in.
DSC00316.jpg

once in and primed and thats it, crx now ready for hydro box :happy)
after (hydro)
DSC00313.jpg

before(cable)
DSC00302.jpg

cheers ill keep ya posted.... alot of long nights ahead!!!!!

nice project!! what engine planned?? k20? ps the boxy starlet in the first pic looks clean:nice:

nice project!! what engine planned?? k20? ps the boxy starlet in the first pic looks clean:nice:

the starlet ha ha... one owner from new and only 36 k on it ... €500 and its MINT ill never sell it ha ha never!!

the engine is the same as the time attack car we are in essence we are just sawping shells

the old spec is

1992 eg6 shell seem welded and struts everywhere, roco fabricated 1999 dc2 running gear, subframe, arms hubs and rack (5 stud) 1999 dc2 type r engine (spoon sump, thermo, fan switch) blitz intake, 98 spec exhaust header spoon n1 cat back 2.5" 98 spec itr gear box, roco lower 4th and 5th gear itr rad and engine mounts and fuel tank K-sport coil overs, roco camber adjusters f&R roco castor adjustors front 98 spec itr front and rear roll bars sparco 12 point roll cage, seat and steering wheel vafc2 and itr dials inside 98 spec ukdm honda alloys toyo proxies R888's F&R (car weighs 920 kg all in)

ah ya cant beat them have two meself!! great runarounds!! i see sounds like a nice spec!lot of work to do on the crx then... you competing against any k20 ek's or anything? think theres a gold one in time attack isnt there?

thanks lads

yea the gold ek is 317bhp na 2l.

its going to be very tough to be close to him!!!!!

we'll sure try though :lol:

this was the dameaged front panel, not much going on so ill post this

drilled out
DSC00318.jpg

cut out
DSC00320.jpg

DSC00319.jpg

took quiet a while!!!!!!!

great thred!
wouldnt know where to start myself so good to see detailed pcs and descriptions to give better ideas of whats intailed etc :D

i havent done anythin in a week or so because i couldnt seem weld engine bay until new panel came in so i could paint the lot together and avoid rust.

friday all my new parts arrived, :))

DSC00323.jpg

DSC00322.jpg

big thanks to andy in the tunning tactory for sorting me out with complete rose jointed kit, and roll center adjusters. the seem to be the dog's!!!!

i was going to run hard rubber bushes but after seeing these!!!!

i thought if i wanted a rose jointed kit i would have to make it myself, but as these replace the origional bushes a couldnt go wrong. they are very expensive but i think they will be worth it as the track i compete most on is a handling track rather than power.

ill fit these this week hopefully :nice:

Its been a while so ill throw it up. Firstly we refitted the new panel from honda.
it took ages to line up and get right. worth it but alot of niggly work.

DSC00323.jpg

DSC00324.jpg

DSC00325.jpg

DSC00326.jpg

DSC00327.jpg

next i filled all the holes in the engine bay. looks better and we will be running a custom harness (rrfl: so i wont need many of the oem holes. safer too.

DSC00328.jpg

DSC00330.jpg

Then i had to remove a few extra brackets in the back. Some for roll cage fitment. I was suprised with the weight of it all after. Maybe 1 kg!!

DSC00342.jpg

DSC00341.jpg

Next was the impressive bit. When you see a roll cage sometimes you think yea a couple of bends and a few plates but not the case.
This was the first time a helped (handed tools ha ha) to RoCo building a cage from scratch. All i can say is that it is almost an art form!:happy)
The cage fitment even from the stage we are at now is unreal. The cage is so snug. i will be able to weld it to the car in a number of places... dont even need plates. Again a huge thanks to Ronan in RoCo. top job.
On another point, it is the lightest cage roco has done as the size of the cage is tiny. my civic one was up to my chest, but because of the size of the crx the cage is so small and therefore so light..... bt:)
these are just the tacked pics, but i had to post just to see it!!!

DSC00331.jpg

DSC00332.jpg

DSC00344.jpg

DSC00345.jpg

DSC00346.jpg

Back