solid-fab/import_trung header test, with dyno graphs!!!!!

import_trung

First off, i'd like to thank Solid-Fab(Alan) for the Awsome manifold, Angel-works for the use of the workshop facilities, I.A motorsport(Ian)
for the use of their dyno, Venh for letting me use his UKDM ITR to test the manifolds on, and lastly a pat on the back for
me(Import_Trung) for busting a 48hr all niter to get this test done.

As with all custom manifolds, power gains are an unknown, and the only way to find out is to strap it to a dyno and measure the ponies
comin out the back.
Most people go with the notion that JDM manifolds are top power makers, and we wanted to see if we could beat it. So we decided to to do
a header test.

The line up goes:
UKDM 4-2-1
Toda 4-2-1
JDM oem 4-1
Solid-Fab/ITI custom 4-1

The bench mark was obviously the toda, and Ian @ I.A motorsport threw in the jdm 4-1 into the mix to see how it compared.

The test mule was a 80,000 mile STOCK UKDM ITR on 99RON fuel. It had a Spoon replacement filter and the resonator box was removed. NO OTHER MODS.
The test was carried out within a 4 hour period, NO TUNING was done, the ecu wasnt even reset. Each setup was dyno'ed about 5 times to get the highest power reading. The highest reading was used for comparison.
Because this was a test of header power and not header and exhaust, they were all tested open header.

First up was a baseline run with the stock exhaust attached,
Then the stock exhaust was removed, and dyno'ed again,
UKDM 4-2-1 open header.
Up second was the Toda 4-2-1.
Then the JDM 4-1
Then the Solid-Fab/ITI header.
Lastly the mugen twin loop was bolted onto the solid-Fab/ITI header to compare it with OEM header and exhaust. and to see how much power the twin loop saps from the open header.

here are some pics and graphs for you to all stare at.

Toda and Solid-Fab/ITI header
andylan001.jpg

andylan003.jpg

andylan004.jpg

andylan005.jpg

andylan007.jpg

oem UKDM, toda and Solid-Fab/ITI header
andylan025.jpg

oem UKDM, Solid-Fab/ITI, JDM 4-1, DC sports
andylan032.jpg

the DC sports was not tested as it was for a b16, not a b18.

here's the dyno graphs.

ALL:
andylan080.jpg

UKDM vs Solid-Fab/ITI
andylan079.jpg

Toda vs Solid-Fab/ITI
andylan078.jpg

JDM 4-1 vs solid-fab/ITI
andylan077.jpg

As you can all see. the Solid-Fab/ITI header made the most power out of the 4 headers. it beat the bench mark header (toda) by 1-4hp throughout the rev range.

The biggest suprise is that the JDM 4-1 made almost identical power throughout the rev range as the toda. i dont have a graph comparing just the two.

The solid-Fab/ITI header was designed for a built 1.8/2L engine. but performed superbly on the stock 1.8l. I believe that the more modifications the stock 1.8l engine has, the bigger the power increase will be between itself and rival headers.

Revisions will be made to suit the b16 and b20 engines.

The customer asked for a de/cat delete, so we made the manifold that bolted straight upto the b pipe.
the final production headers will be made so that they fit 2.5 de/cats.

here's a dyno graph comparing stock header and exhaust vs solid-fab/ITI header and mugen twin loop
andylan075.jpg

A maximum gain of 13hp increase over stock with an average Hp gain of 10hp in vtec and 3-4hp gain off vtec.
overall an awesome gain!!!!!!!!

And for all those out there who add power by per part (ie: header 5hp + exhaust 5hp = 10hp) heres a dyno graph showing that you dont gain
power like that.
andylan076.jpg

thanks for reading. i hope i've been able to cover all the bases and that the test is good enough for everyone. if it aint, go do your own dyno tests ;)

So your saying there just with the header you get 184.1bhp, but add the twin loop and you only get 181.3bhp so the cat back looses power. Have you tested a 5ziegen header? Some good results though.

yes, thats exactly what happened, the twin loop is restrictive.
i've seen a zigen header before, and tbh, its not that great, it uses a 2.25inch collector, and they have very small primaries. it would make less power than the solidfab/toda/and jdm itr 4-1.

I've got a dc2 98 spec 5ziegen pro header plus a fujitsubo rm01a on a 98 ek9 would be interesting to get it rolling roaded with the standard exhaust on it then.

What car was the 5Zigen for? Mine has a 2.5" collector. Anyway results look good, as does the price compared to a Toda, not that I want one but what is the lead time on your product?

call me a cynic but if i was repping a manifold would i not make sure it was performing better than all competition too? :p

why in a back to back dyno test are they starting at different rpm? or did the operator "rpm shift" to give the manifold gains?

not trying to bash the product as it looks well made, but the big companies spend millions on r & d to get their results and if it was that easy we would all be making our own manifolds!

call me a cynic but if i was repping a manifold would i not make sure it was performing better than all competition too? :p

why in a back to back dyno test are they starting at different rpm? or did the operator "rpm shift" to give the manifold gains?

not trying to bash the product as it looks well made, but the big companies spend millions on r & d to get their results and if it was that easy we would all be making our own manifolds!

if u can supply me with all the best headers (smsp, rmf, bisi, hytech, etc etc) out there and chip in for dyno costs, then i'd be happy to spend my time testing them all. i tested what i had to hand. if i had more i would have tested more.

the graphs start at different rpms because thats when the operator started the plot for that run. it makes no difference where it starts because before it starts plotting, the engine is under full load. so the outcome of the run is the same.

big companies spend 'just enough' money on their product R&D to make power over stock, but the spend the majority of its money on advertising. thats what sells a product.

and it is that easy, cos we have just done it and it out performs the toda.

sorry may be blind here but i dont see a price?

How much will these be? I am very interested for the B16B......

You say they will be available in the next 2-3 weeks?

And just to confirm, they will be stright bolt on to "decat pipe" yes?

Trung is a top bloke, in all my dealings with him he's been totally honest and straightforward - if something is balls, he say so. The customer isn't fooled into getting anything they don't need.

Angelworks has a lot of experience with building cars for the track, they know what works from first hand experience.
I would seriously recommend them for any headwork, Ben knows his stuff when it comes to getting the best out of a particular head.

Nice work mate with the dyno testing, a lot of effort gone into it. Quite surprised by the results, especially as you've found the 4-1 to have the same profile as the Toda - which I thought would have slightly better midrange.

If I didn't have a Toda myself I'd be ringing you up about the Solid-Fab for sure, looks great - congratulations.

Heard of 5zigens primary design not being optimal, but no experience with them myself, they seem to have loads of happy customers though.

The thing that never ceases to amaze me with these header comparisons is the amount of power that can be gained over stock - got to be the best bang for buck mod.

Last edited:
Na dude, i've got a tri-y for the time being until i go boost! lol, would've snapped that off yah! Might be interested in a 3" exhaust from him though (a bit later!)

I apologize if this is stated somewhere in the thread but how much are these??

And these are stainless steel yeh?

Last edited:
hay,will this fit my b16b? if so im also interested in a price and what cat back system would suit it best?

Last edited:
ek9dan,
im not a trader yet, so im not allowed to advertise the price, alternatively, you can find the pricing on itr-dc2 forum :)
they will take 2-3 weeks to make on payment of the deposit.

blinx, it is a 2.5inch collector, but we have upgrade options such as megaphones with reverse collectors.

illcentric, thankyou for your kind words :)

shaz, we can make you a custom turbo kit. ;)

honda junkie, again, we are not traders yet, so cannot advertise the price.

chris_ek9. yes these will fit the ek9. as for catback choice, its down to noise levels. some ppl like quiet exhaust. some like loud exhausts.

ek9dan,
im not a trader yet, so im not allowed to advertise the price, alternatively, you can find the pricing on itr-dc2 forum :)
they will take 2-3 weeks to make on payment of the deposit.

Hi,

Ok ive just checked, It is above what i was initially budgeting for......

However i still could be interested........ Will the price be the same for the B16B header?

The B16B header, will this be of the exact same quality and should we expect similar gains? Will you be doing graph comparisons on the B16B too?

What will be the difference from the B16 header and the B18 you have now? Internal diameter of each runner? I.e smaller?

The first price looks nice with the 10% discount......

Last edited:
Back