smalest dia exhaust for b18 200hp? and inlet

ek4vti

right im thinking of using a dc2 center section with a de-cat and standard ek4 back box
will the standard ek4 back box limit top end power toooo much?
well after some searching on the web with the standard inlet manifold compared to the type r I would lose some mid range for bit of top end hp
so with the restriction on the inlet being around 8k rpm ish ??
im not building this for bragging rights or drag racing
also I don't have much of an understanding on back pressure etc but wont I lose some low-mid range with a 2 1/2 inch straight through compared to a straight through 2inch??

Zak

Feel like a div completely missed the sticky about exhaust,
But still will try out the dc2 centre section with standard back box

it will be nice to drive around on the street with that setup, the car will feel responsive in low and mid range. But don't expect top end power without a 2.5" setup.

heh, well 200whp is tough to crack on a 1.6 i don't think you will easily get there without a proper exhaust system. I've seen built engines on stock exhaust systems be down as much as 20-30whp breathing mods become very important down the line.

Its 200bhp @flywheel I will be buzzing lol
Its a 12.5 compression b18 with a stock type R head sorry forgot to state this at the start

Well 200bhp is about 170whp, it's possible with stock exhaust but I dont thin u can get that without cams.

Yeah i was thinking something bigger but if you have your heart set on this then i suggest you try it out, if your happy with the performance, if not you an always upgrade your exhaust later :)

200hp is what factory jdm dc2r came out with. It had 2.25 from factory.

2.0" is too small for 1.8. Youll have a nice torque band that is very usable on the street but top end suffers. When you go 2.5" you end up trading that for top end power. 2.25 is fine for your power goals.

If you do decide to build a 2.5", just store away the current setup so u can exchange it for road and race applications.

Last edited:
I was happy with the set up it felt alot better than I thought in the sense of drivability and quietness
It did get slightly louder with the b18 and the header but with the header I have I do get burble
Might look in to 2 standard back boxes 1 on either side to keep it quiet

Have had a look at the spoon system and seems pretty good rice ain't that bad either,
Been doing some more reading and with the head gasket problem I am going to have to play it safe with a high comp build if I want it to last reduce pumping losses etc

so modding the manifold new collector megaphone 3" piping and a twin loop exhaust,

Back