J's racing intake, HELP!!!

mike

Me and my mate who is a mechanic fitted my new J's intake yesterday, all seemed well until this morning where I noticed that it had come off the rubber joint between the intake.

Has anyone had any problems with fitting this intake where it doesn't seem to sit right on the inlet?

It seems very tight to get into the space where it sits.....is that right?

Also the metal L bracket, where does this go and what do you fix it to?

I've not fixed it at the mo because it seems thats the reason it pulled off last night.

Sorry to ask so many questions! :eek:

I did also check the J's installation guide but it didn't really have any of the problems that I seem to be having!

Thanks in advance!

It probably came off as the intake was sagging without the L bracket. This is how the bracket fits on...We'll say the short bit of the L bracket (if you understand me) goes in between the big jubilee clip and the actual air filter where the filter connects to the pipe itself. And then the long bit of the L bracket bolts onto the chassis leg...Any problems LMK.

It probably came off as the intake was sagging without the L bracket. This is how the bracket fits on...We'll say the short bit of the L bracket (if you understand me) goes in between the big jubilee clip and the actual air filter where the filter connects to the pipe itself. And then the long bit of the L bracket bolts onto the chassis leg...Any problems LMK.

Thats where we had the bracket but my mate thinks thats the reason it came off because the engine moves quite alot and the bracket doesn't.

Therefore if there is too much movement the bracket is too stiff and it pulls the rubber joint apart??!!

Blinx, sorry mate no pics of it but it looks exactly like all the others lol I cheked the link from jugbugz about his intake and mine looks like that only prob is the joint onto the metal inlet where you slide the rubber over doesn't seem to fit properly. :confused:

Well thats definitely where the bracket goes. But if you dont have the rubber joint on the throttle body properly it will pull off too. Take off the rubber:D put it in some hot water for a few mins, which will soften it up and put it back on then and you will have no problem getting it in fully on the throttle body:)

Well thats definitely where the bracket goes. But if you dont have the rubber joint on the throttle body properly it will pull off too. Take off the rubber:D put it in some hot water for a few mins, which will soften it up and put it back on then and you will have no problem getting it in fully on the throttle body:)

Ok mate, thanks for your advice! :nice:

It does fit ok, but it just seems like you cant sit it perfectly square on the throttle body. does yours?

Mine seems to catch at the other end of the carbon pipe by the suspension mount so you cant get it on square.

We have got it fixed tight on there though, just guna do that bracket in a min.

Have a look at the pics of mine in the for sale section. There not great but might give you an idea. Also look at jugbugz post in this forum also;) Your welcome...

Have a look at the pics of mine in the for sale section. There not great but might give you an idea. Also look at jugbugz post in this forum also;) Your welcome...

Been out and had a play, its definatley sitting better on the throttle body now and the clips in the right place so I think i've sorted it.

When my mate put it on yesterday he couldn't get the rubber seal over the throttle body properly so he just did the best he could but it came loose and fell off.

Plus the bracket was in the wrong place but all sorted now.

It sounds lush now, got my miracle fireball on there too!!!! Well happy!!!!

:D

Thanks mate! :nice:

When I done it I put the rubber seal on the throttle body first so it would sit straight on it then fitted the intake chamber along with the filter but seems you have it sorted however if it comes off again try that.

I think I have it sorted now, thanks for all your comments! :nice:

It is a fairly tight squeeze to get it in though, seems like its too big for the small gap! Did anyone else think this? or is it just me....

Just a couple of pics of how it looks after I played with it to get it right:

$DSCN0577.JPG

$DSCN0578.JPG

hmm, the position of your intake seems short. Mine reaches rather deep into the corner.

You should try raising the intake and dip the tip down, mine sits higher and I twist the intake so the tip is angled downwards into the corner, by doing this, you can get more room to reach further into the corner... Just check out my lastest pics with the shield on.

You need a lot of twisting adjustments and also to the rubber mount on the TB and plenum. I have mine optimized for length and angle. Mine is very secured even if you grab onto it and try to shake it due to the 'L' braket fitment. Just do a lot of adjustments... hope that helps

Last edited:
hmm, the position of your intake seems short. Mine reaches rather deep into the corner.

You should try raising the intake and dip the tip down, mine sits higher and I twist the intake so the tip is angled downwards into the corner, by doing this, you can get more room to reach further into the corner... Just check out my lastest pics with the shield on.

You need a lot of twisting adjustments and also to the rubber mount on the TB and plenum. I have mine optimized for length and angle. Mine is very secured even if you grab onto it and try to shake it due to the 'L' braket fitment. Just do a lot of adjustments... hope that helps

Been out and had a good twist about with the filter and got it to sit alot better now, L-bracket is sat better too and the filter just feels more secure now.

Thanks very much for your help jugbugz!! :nice:

Looks good mike. :) Bet you loving that sound.

Mine was a bit tricky when fitting but now it sits like this:
P5170353.jpg

P5170353.jpg

Thanks mate, still not sitting quite the same as yours but its very secure so i'm happy where it is at the moment.

I love the noise it makes, absolutley mental.......:drive::D

I have got my 5zigen miracle fireball on now too, which also makes a bit of noise lol!

P5170353.jpg

nice fitment! Mine touches the radiator support so I had to readjust the filter clamping point. lol

mike: if you can get the fitment as close to the radiator support like djdosile then its correct.

Try adjusting these parts;

-rubber TB mount (adjust position clamping point on TB and plenum)
-Filter clamping point (adjust the clamping point of the filter to sit on the tip of the plenum)

You should get maximum length to reach into the corner now. :D

Does these intakes really make any noticeable difference or do people just do them for the noise?

Also, any issues with heat soak or stalling/hesitation on hot days?

With my dyno butt, I did feel an improvement in mid range...

Anyone has dyno sheet ???

Seems like the concern with the J's intake is heat soak. Would be better of with an enclosure.

Just been reading another thread.

i recently ditched my j's racing intake in favour of the stock air box, romoved both resonators and fitted aftermarket panel filter and cold air feed, this set up feels better and more consistent/reduced heat soak, looks a lot more tastefull as well imo.

for some reason i just didn't enjoy the j's sound after a while, i must be getting old.

Yeah, I prefer the look of the stock setup..a lot more tidy.

What are these resonators and why are they removed?

Back