Pics of heat wrapped 4-2-1 and method

ijwhiteman

Super Moderator
Donator
As above please would much appreciate it.

I was thinking start from far right (4th branch) come down to where it splits into the 2 part of the 4 2 1 then go back up the 3rd branch cut and tie then repeat for the 2nd branch down to the 2 part then back up the first far left branch and cut and tie.

Then wrap from the 4 2 split down to the 1 (exit/join to cat)

Hope this makes sense. :lol:

:thanks:

I'll fire up some pics when I get home from work, got a few detailed ones on my photobucket, i'll text you a good photo I have on my phone though ;)

First of all wrap it with the manifold OFF the car, makes it far easier, if you need new gaskets get from honda, Tegiwa sell donut gaskets for a tenner as they say honda charge 25 quid, this is rubbish, honda only charge £3 for said item.........

My fujitsubo manifold is 2 piece so quite easy to do, could wrap the top manifold sections then do the downpipe seperately

Looking at the manifold straight on still attached to the car, lets call the furthest left primary number one and furthest right primary 4........

I wrapped primary 3 down to where it merges with primary 2, starting from the top working down (tie the top just after you start to hold it), overlapping half the width of the wrap each time. once I got to where it joined I tied it again

Next I did primary 2, and wrapped it down to where i tied primary 3 and then overlapped primary 3 so there was no bare manifold left

Repeat a similar thing for the other 2 primaries, primary 1 is awkward to wrap that down to primary 4 then do primary 4

Since your manifold is 1 piece, i'd be inclined to do the 4 primaries in 2 groups like I mentioned and then once you get to where all the pipes join to 1, tie the 2 groups there and use what you have left to wrap up to the collector, overlapping the 2 groups to protect them

Wow hope you can understand that :lol:

Once you get going it's really easy just fiddly, trick is to take your time and pull the wrap really tight as you go

I used lots of plastic zip ties to hold the wrap as I went along then once I was happy at the end I secured it properly with metal efforts :nice:

mani2.jpg

mani1.jpg

wrapped.jpg

And installed

DSC_0012.jpg

I did mine the other week, its a horrible job. Best get your marigolds on as it gets itchy!

I found wrapping it wet worked a treat, it gets a bit stretchy and then dries really tight. The easiest way i found to do it was to start with the 4-2 primaries, same as Steven but i did mine the other direction. Best way is to dry wrap it roughly so you know what length you need for each one, then you can cut 4 pieces and soak them, saves pissing around threading 30m of wet heat wrap. I didnt get on very well with thoses metal cable ties, couldnt really get them tight so ended up buying a load of hose ties, think they were about a tenner off ebay and proper chunky, much easier to work with.
Thats the most fiddly part, the rest is easier. I did the rest going the opposite way again, going from the cat end upwards. The reason sounds a bit OCD, but you end up with the overlaps going in the same direction as air flow under the car, and also if you catch it on a bump or something it wont rip it off as easy. Made sense to me anyway haha. Also working that direction, if there is any bits left exposed up in the middle bit you can tidy those up with end. I also double wrapped the bottom to avoid heat soak with the sump as they sit well close.

Thats about it with how I did mine, it retains water for ages though so when you put it on the car it 'smokes' for aaaaages.

Heres how it ended up, not as neat as Stevens but was my first go :)

4304096577_b527383dbf.jpg

Thanks for sharing mate! All helpful to me! Not really looking forward to it though hate fiddly little jobs!!!

Make sure you double the wrap under the sump to prevent heat transfer from exhaus to oil. When i did mine on my old track dc2 it reduced the oil temp on track by nearly 25 deg.
Dunx

Make sure you double the wrap under the sump to prevent heat transfer from exhaus to oil. When i did mine on my old track dc2 it reduced the oil temp on track by nearly 25 deg.
Dunx

:shocked: Holy cow!!! Thanks dunx :nice:

Not sure how it compares to some, but my oil temps weren't budging above 108deg after numerous hard laps at Knockhill

HAHA

My water temps were also rock steady at 80 deg

Koyo radiator does a great job :bow:

HEAT WRAP FTW!!! Highly recommended car feels very nicely different. Smoother, crisper, seems to pull much harder through the vtec and throttle response is greatly improved! Love it!

Just what a pain in the arse to fit!!! Many many cut fingers from those stupid metal zip ties!

bump threar ressurection lol

How did everyone do their downpipes?

did you wrap each section separate then went over it again and wrapped the 2 together as shown in stevens pic above or did you just go round it once and wrapped them together?
thanks

Heres my Toda but i bought it second hand already wrapped :win:

The wrap is actualy the normal colour white ish then the guy has sprayed it with protective high temp paint or sumit.

Back