My J's Racing Intake Installation...

jugbugz

1998 EK9 CTR
Donator
attachment.php

Ok, finally I have gotten the chance to install the intake... I've taken many step by step pics including minor modifications needed. Hope this can help those who want to install one themselves... :D

I've just finished this afternoon and had a chance to have a quick drive. Now I remember someone here told me that this intake will make your car very very very loud when in 2nd cam... and loud everywhere else...

All I can say is....

...This thing is CRAZY! It's crazy loud! It's increase the noise from STOCK intake by atleast... atleast x2!!! I was thinking, if this intake makes the car this loud then what would individual throttle bodies sound like... LOL! It sounds like a race car... oh and the throttle response has increased x2 as well...

The reason must definitely be that it's made from carbon fibre... unlike normal stainless steel short ram pipes where most of the sound comes out from the tip, this thing is makes noise everywhere and makes my exhaust sound puny...

I remembered my friends EG with B18C short ram, full mugen headers back, and this kills it in volume and sound quality...

I will be posting pics and steps so stay tuned!!:woot:

hopefully I can make a video of the sound too!!

Attachments

• 87.7 KB · Views: 7,031
Reactions: rvm
Cool! congratulations great buy! thanks for sharing the photos and video :)

Ok, finally I have gotten the chance to install the intake... I've taken many step by step pics including minor modifications needed. Hope this can help those who want to install one themselves... :D

I've just finished this afternoon and had a chance to have a quick drive. Now I remember someone here told me that this intake will make your car very very very loud when in 2nd cam... and loud everywhere else...

All I can say is....

...This thing is CRAZY! It's crazy loud! It's increase the noise from STOCK intake by atleast... atleast x2!!! I was thinking, if this intake makes the car this loud then what would individual throttle bodies sound like... LOL! It sounds like a race car... oh and the throttle response has increased x2 as well...

The reason must definitely be that it's made from carbon fibre... unlike normal stainless steel short ram pipes where most of the sound comes out from the tip, this thing is makes noise everywhere and makes my exhaust sound puny...

I remembered my friends EG with B18C short ram, full mugen headers back, and this kills it in volume and sound quality...

I will be posting pics and steps so stay tuned!!:woot:

hopefully I can make a video of the sound too!!

Yo Jugbugz that was me that told you it would be "very very very loud when in vtec"! have you noticed when around 2500rpm and you floor it that the induction noise is so deep and LOUD! it shakes the car:nerv: I wouldnt change my J's racing induction kit for any other one and I take it from your response you aint dissapointed with yours either:D

Yo Jugbugz that was me that told you it would be "very very very loud when in vtec"! have you noticed when around 2500rpm and you floor it that the induction noise is so deep and LOUD! it shakes the car:nerv: I wouldnt change my J's racing induction kit for any other one and I take it from your response you aint dissapointed with yours either:D

hahaha yeh it was you... yeh you can hear a very angry induction noise at FULL Throttle in any RPM... but when VTEC kicks in this thing is YELLING OUT LOUD!!! LOL!!!

I've also found that my exhaust has gotten louder, much louder... this might be because of the extra air the engine is intaking so more air is going out the exhuast... did you noticed that?? I'm scared about the COPS at night man, it just screams like a gorilla! I hope it doesn't get too much louder when I install a high flow cat when my SPOON driveshafts come in... :D

Pics and instructions coming soon!:lock:

hahaha yeh it was you... yeh you can hear a very angry induction noise at FULL Throttle in any RPM... but when VTEC kicks in this thing is YELLING OUT LOUD!!! LOL!!!

I've also found that my exhaust has gotten louder, much louder... this might be because of the extra air the engine is intaking so more air is going out the exhuast... did you noticed that?? I'm scared about the COPS at night man, it just screams like a gorilla! I hope it doesn't get too much louder when I install a high flow cat when my SPOON driveshafts come in... :D

Pics and instructions coming soon!:lock:

Not to sure all I can hear is the induction noise:lol: when you let your foot up of the throttle the induction noise stops so any sign of annoying cops just back up off the gas:D

sorry for the wait guys... so busy with work etc... gotta stay up late for this...

well I'll be making a photo show instead of writing so much up... you'll get the idea of the installation...

ok part 1. Removing the stock intake, note that I've cut a part of my stock intake(u-turn) already and modified it slightly for cold air intake, so pics might look different.

J's Racing intake is *BLING*

I've also found out that I've got an ITR throttle body 62mm.

Attachments

• $DSC02324.JPG
    $DSC02324.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 1,389
  • $DSC02330.JPG
    $DSC02330.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 1,821
  • $DSC02318.JPG
    $DSC02318.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 1,552
  • $DSC02320.JPG
    $DSC02320.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 1,356
  • $DSC02321.JPG
    $DSC02321.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 1,223
  • $DSC02326.JPG
    $DSC02326.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 1,337
  • $DSC02325.JPG
    $DSC02325.JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 1,248
  • $DSC02329.JPG
    $DSC02329.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 1,611
Part 2.

Ok, This is probally the trickiest part of the install where you have to modify the breather and coolant line that is welded together with the breather line. (I don't know why Honda had to weld these parts together)... made it hard for me...

I tried pulling out the breather line but was connected to the coolant line that runs from the throttle body to the head.

So I came up with using the existing rubber tube lines after pulling out the connections. I had to cut the coolant line and it happend to be the right shape and length to reconnect the coolant line from the throttle body to the head. LUCKY n PERFECT!!!

Then installed the intake plenum.

Whats left is an extra pipe that was a part of the OEM intake that is supported by the engine bay wall. I had to remove that too...

Attachments

• $DSC02340.JPG
    $DSC02340.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 1,791
  • $DSC02337.JPG
    $DSC02337.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 1,539
  • $DSC02332.JPG
    $DSC02332.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 1,330
  • $DSC02331.JPG
    $DSC02331.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 1,368
  • $DSC02339.JPG
    $DSC02339.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 1,879
Part 3.

Next is to install a cold air feed pipe that I originally had with the stock intake. Then install the supporting bracket for J's intake. The bracket will be held together with the clamp on the airfilter + plenum.(I hope that makes sense).

Attachments

• $DSC02346.JPG
    $DSC02346.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 1,512
  • $DSC02344.JPG
    $DSC02344.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,392
  • $DSC02343.JPG
    $DSC02343.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 1,525
  • $DSC02342.JPG
    $DSC02342.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 3,934
  • $DSC02341.JPG
    $DSC02341.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 1,385
Part 4.

Just admiring the pod filter.... hehe...

finally installed the pod filter and have to tighten the clamp onto the bracket as well to make sure it doesn't move much.

Attachments

• $DSC02347.JPG
    $DSC02347.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 1,117
  • $DSC02348.JPG
    $DSC02348.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 1,008
  • $DSC02349.JPG
    $DSC02349.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 1,058
  • $DSC02350.JPG
    $DSC02350.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 1,366
  • $DSC02354.JPG
    $DSC02354.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 1,927
Part 5.

Finished installation... :clap: :D

Attachments

• $DSC02353.JPG
    $DSC02353.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 5,190
  • $DSC02352.JPG
    $DSC02352.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 1,541
  • $DSC02351.JPG
    $DSC02351.JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 1,657
  • $DSC02387.JPG
    $DSC02387.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 2,150
Conclusion.

This intake really made the induction noise very loud and VERY DEEP in sound, i even mistook it for the deepness of the exhaust note and thought that it was my exhuast that had gone louder...

Performance wise. at first I was not able to tell because of all the sound... lol and also it was drawing hot air at that time before I got some heat shields in(will post more pics later).

Right now I already have a temporary pod filter heat shield setup in the bay and will be upgrading it into a proper fabricated one in the future.

I found that from 4000rpm, the induction really comes on loud and at vtec point the thing is yelling out loud... I can say the volume has increase 30% from lower revs and 40-50% from vtec point. After installing the pod filter heat shields, the noise got reduced a bit. :/

the performance an noise is due 2 the way the air flows thro the pipe...it increases airflow rather than a normal alloy short ram pipe its not bcos its carbon fibre...have the same 1 in my civic it really does make a dif compared 2 most othr indution kits...the aem v2 is very good 2!!

the performance an noise is due 2 the way the air flows thro the pipe...it increases airflow rather than a normal alloy short ram pipe its not bcos its carbon fibre...have the same 1 in my civic it really does make a dif compared 2 most othr indution kits...the aem v2 is very good 2!!

cool, I've never had any other intake on this car except stock so wouldn't know much about other intakes... but yeh, Vtec comes on very angry... :nice:

errr, did you make up that prayer on your signature? hahaha

I have to say that the Carbon fibre plenum itself is pretty thin...
i can see light through the other side looking from the inside of the plenum... This thin walled design would have an impact on sound too right?

It makes me think aluminium short ram pipes would have a different note and volume...

Well i have the fibreglass one and let me tell you its really loud also!! My mate has a AEM V2 and its nothing like the J's!

cool, I've never had any other intake on this car except stock so wouldn't know much about other intakes... but yeh, Vtec comes on very angry... :nice:

errr, did you make up that prayer on your signature? hahaha

haha ya there is a nice roar wen vtec kicks in an a bit more of a kick up the back side i use the j's induction kit in my road car an i have the aem v2 in my track car they are both very good induction kits!!....haha no i didn make up that prayer i seen it somewhere before thought it was cool:nice:

haha ya there is a nice roar wen vtec kicks in an a bit more of a kick up the back side i use the j's induction kit in my road car an i have the aem v2 in my track car they are both very good induction kits!!....haha no i didn make up that prayer i seen it somewhere before thought it was cool:nice:

Tough choice, but which do you prefer more, the v2 or the J's racing?. Both sound like top quality induction kits:)

Back